• Members

I figured I’d start a thread about this given the recent discussions here on X-Men ‘97. Per Deadline, Michael Lesslie, who recently wrote the screenplay for Hunger Games: The Ballad Of Songbirds & Snakes has been selected and is in negotiations to write the screenplay. No director or casting attached yet, but development could still take some time.

‘X-Men’ Movie At Marvel Studios Gains Momentum As Michael Lesslie Comes On As Screenwriter

@NothinButAttitude @Vee @Taoboi

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Meh. I am on the fence. I have to see the final product to get excited. After years of Bryan Singer's crappy interpretations, I am hesitant. I feel like the expectation is going to be even higher given how well X-Men'97 came to be. I don't get how they wouldn't just give the role to Beau DeMayo. But whatever. 

I am stunned that Disney+ has never done a X-Men series. That'd be more better than show given that it can run for eons like a soap opera. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

I still wonder what Beau did that was so unforgivable that led to his firing. Some have claimed he violated a morality clause by having an OnlyFans at one point, while others have claimed he created a hostile work environment. Though he’s back on social media, he’s never commented.

Marvel films tend to go through a number of rewrites or screenwriters for that matter. I think the important thing is they’re starting to develop the X-Men IP again now that they have full access to it. We can only hope they learned the right lessons from X-Men ‘97

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

Regardless of what Beau did, he seems to be the only modern writer who grasps the concept of the series and respects its history. I am all for letting everyone get a shot, but every X-Men project is going to be compared to X-Men 97 (despite it being animated) going forward. 

I stand firm that a live-action series would be smart. Especially, if they mirrored it after the original comic by starting it off with the original five X-Men and building on it like a soap opera. That can then be spun off into other live-action series like X-Factor, Avengers, Alpha Flight, etc. 

• Members

I am meh. I just watched TBOSAS this past weekend and I loved it. But I don't know how well of a writer Michael Lesslie is for something bigger than Katniss. So I will wait and see.

I admit to being curious as well. Because it's been said it's not about the OFs. But again, people say he makes a hostile work environment, but he always has Season 2 of X-MEN 97 in the bag, written, drawn, and now halfway in post-production. Yet Beau was online frequently interacting with fans and networking/advertising for the show. And he interacted at weekly viewing parties in L. A. with the voice actors and more fans and not one bad story has emerged.  So...what's really going on?

I agree. Especially since the regular comics is coming off one of yet one of their most progressive runs right now so that Marvel can regress them AGAIN back to average x-storying from what I've heard. Seems like fans aren't liking the backwards steps so when the movie is produced...X-MEN 97 might just be the only reference to go on. 

• Administrator

I'm glad Disney is finally starting to develop a new X-Men.  I've always preferred them over the Avengers.   I'm going to miss the Singer/First Class actors though.