GH: O’Connor/Van Etten OUT! Mulcahey/Korte IN!

• Members

I read that theory elsewhere, recently, too.  Do anyone know for sure?  Was Lucky written out or did JJ choose to leave?  If Lucky was written out, was it Mulcahey's idea or was it from someone else on the writing team or producers?

Edited by janea4old

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

He opted out.

In 1998, when Jackson was considering college, he revealed he had given the series six months notice of his consideration in accordance with his contract. In January 1999, it was reported that the series had worked out a deal, and Jackson stated he had briefly extended his contract to allow the character's popular romance to continue, and that his contract allowed him to leave if he received a feature film role, resulting in his exit in April 1999, shooting pre-taped scenes, appearing through late May. Jackson explained to Soap Opera Weekly: "I kind of feel that the fact of how much work they've given me this year, at this stage as an actor, they just maxed out quite a bit of what I would do for the show. And I'm at a better age now to go out. There are more projects for people my age or a little older than there were a few years ago. Hollywood's the kind of town where you kinda have to strike while the iron's hot."

In a statement, his manager said: "[Jackson] has told GH and made it very clear to me that he wants to periodically go back to GH. It's a question of if the storyline warrants it and they want him to come back; Jonathan would be more than happy to." In early 2000, Jackson stated he would enjoy reprising the role but his schedule would not allow it. He suggested a short-term return that could coincide with the departure of co-star Rebecca Herbst (who plays Lucky's love interest Elizabeth Webber) should she not renew her contract, allowing for periodic returns from the couple later on. Although Herbst expressed interest, the show opted to keep the characters on canvas, resulting in Jacob Young's casting.

So, the higher-ups knew he was mulling an OUT.

• Members

Okay..teacher..: )  As a GL viewer who never really watched GH...(I always knew what was going on but really lost track of it when that mumbling mob guy took over...) I am going to tune in to check out what Mulcahey does...he is the last of the old P & G writers still around and the times he was working on GL (Marland/Nola, etc and Curlee era...) was great. I know his head writing stint there wasn't that great but his scripts were great...its kind of like finding out Marland was going to write ATWT and Long was coming back to GL..hopefully you will immediately see his influence on the show. 

• Members

It’s a rare trait - even without looking at the credits, I can almost always identify a GL or GH episode that was written by Mulcahey when I watch something form the Curlee GL era or late 90’s GH. And that’s saying something as both shows had other great scriptwriters during these eras. 

• Members

It was very well-known Jonathan Jackson was capitol-G Gone the instant his contract was up - he was thought to be a movie star (and almost was). It was all his choice, there was never any question the show would've killed to keep him if it was up to them. But they knew he wanted to spread his wings.

Neither Tony nor Genie wanted Lucky recast at all and pushed against it, but eventually I think they got TG at least behind Jacob Young, a more network-ready hunky choice for a recast, who was still hot from B&B at the time. How they did so is beyond me as Jacob was in no way equipped for that part.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Both of JJ’s exits as Lucky were on his terms. The first to spread his wings. The second to escape Guza’s overly dark/depressing writing for the character.

And he was pretty open in interviews about both exits.

• Members

Trying to get back on topic, I asked about JJ's exit as Lucky because I wondered how Mulcahey felt about the character.  (Since that exit was written as Lucky being presumed dead in a fire).   Glad to learn that JJ wanted to leave and it wasn't something Mulcahey initiated.

Just trying to understand what characters Mulcahey would write for.

Edited by janea4old