Y&R: January 2024 Discussion Thread

• Members

You absolutely nailed exactly what's wrong with all these business stories. In addition, we have execs changing positions AND companies all the time -- and on a whim. None of it makes sense.

What happened to the days when we saw actual Jabot lines and products and an argument over shelf space? I had problems with those, too, because of the stupid idea that only 2 cosmetic companies existed and that one of them had to be put down, but at least those stories weren't like potato soup made with mashed potatoes. (I don't know what that means, but neither do the business stories we see).

What does Chancellor-Winters do? What does Billy do? What is Chance doing? Can anyone explain what Sharon's company is all about? And yeah, the Cassidy First thing is a nice touch to history, but that's meaningless because it's the last time we'll hear about it.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The thing is, I'm fine with these boxes being checked. I love seeing old storylines revisited, seeing characters from years ago brought back.

The problem is that Josh Griffith introduces them with fanfare, and then the follow-through is PFFFFTTTT. Every single storyline ends as a disappointment.

Take the Cameron Kirsten/Sharon story. What a great month -- followed by NOTHING. No emotional trauma for anyone involved. All we got was a Sharon Case statement that she was excited about where it was going for Sharon.

That was all company-speak, because it led to months of NOTHING except Sharon inheriting a company from a psychopath who apparently ran it all from PRISON. And now we're reduced to Sharon having zoom meetings from her coffeehouse.

Kill me now and light me on fire.

• Members

Oh, God! You're right! Esther did work there, too.

Agreed. And, bring on her family and her origin story. The actress continues to shine sh*t into gold.

Exactly. I seriously doubt the writers even know. What the hell was the point of giving Sharon this "company?" Now, poor Chance is reduced to reciting vague corporate jargon.

This brings up ANOTHER bone I have to pick with the show these days. Almost EVERYONE is super successful and rich (and yacking on and on about their companies.) There are NO characters trying to improve their lot and life and climb their way up...a soap classic staple!

• Members

Sharon's cottage was shown during the Cameron return story.

The problem seems to be that the sets are organized for the week ahead to save money.

A certain number fit in the studio. So when laying out the week ahead if Sharon's cottage was to be used it wouldn't be feasible to have it just for a few scenes and further limit what other sets could be used.

They'd have to structure it so a fair bit of action takes place there, which with Sharon's limited involvement in the overall story wouldn't be possible.

Whereas Crimson Lights can be used for various characters.

On the topic of sets, the identical GCAC hotel room is used by multiple characters. 

No effort is made to differentiate the rooms, whereas if there was say a different sofa or floral arrangements etc then that would go some way to making it (slightly) more believable.

Is it that they can't be bothered or some union thing where they would have to have a particular person(s) on set to redo the room?

• Members

Ah, I see @Paul Raven. Thanks for that post. Maybe the only thing that can be done is to try to upgrade the back office at Crimson Lights. The last time I saw that back office, it was looking fairly grungy.

Unfortunately, he’s been writing stories this way for years. Someone should’ve nipped that in the bud when he started doing this.

• Members

^^That’s decent cross promotion and it made me chuckle. Made me long for the days when they use to do those cute preemption promos during the U.S. Open Back then, they really knew how to build anticipation for the shows returning after the Labor Day break.

• Members

Regarding the GCAC suite set that is used for everyone: all they ever do is change the room number plate on the door. They do keep true to who is in what numbered room. It sort of makes me chuckle as to who is in charge of being sure the correct room number is on the door for filming that day.

I agree that Sharon's zoom meeting on the patio at CL was beyond ridiculous. I seem to use that phrase all the time with this show. Why all the big talk back between Sharon, Nick and Adam when SNA was looking for and finalizing office space? Sharon made several points of saying she found the right place. I knew full-well that we would never see those offices, but now we get a zoom mtg. at CL? Good grief.

And I am sick to my stomach at the lack of proper treatment for Nikki with her alcoholism. Everyone enabling her to roam around lying, sneaking her teeny flask in and out of her purse/desk, etc. Victor sitting there acting like there's nothing else to do but wait around watching Nikki for when she slips up. This multi-millionaire should have been checked into a rehab and we all know it. Just a 30-day stint would really clear her system. This is ridiculous (beyond, like I previously said). Maybe MTS is due for a vacay and she will indeed go to rehab soon.

Sharon is getting that sweetsy sing-song voice again with Nick. They would be awful if they are put back together again romantically. Just no.

• Members

Maybe the actor whose character resides there gets the number in the morning along with their wardrobe for the day, and it's their job to affix it.

Seriously,if you were living there -and why would you be living in a hotel room?- surely you would personalize it with photos, books, maybe some of your clothes and stuff lying around-but no, every room is identical and pristine. The GCAC cleaners (never seen) must do a terrific job.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

It’s quite amazing that all of these rich people would prefer to live in a single room, not even a presidential suite, rather than get an apartment or home

Please register in order to view this content

I enjoy that the show remembers that Audra and Nate are friends.

As I was in the OLTL days, I will be the sole TSJ and Tucker fan

Edited by Antoyne

• Members

It gets lonely on this island sometimes . 
I genuinely love the Audra and Tucker relationship. The more we learn about her it’s clear her daddy issues are part of what draws her so much to Tucker.

Also I think it was a shame to waste the chemistry between TSJ and ED and immediately break them up.

Nikki running into Diane at Crimson Lights was hilarious. I really don’t think anyone in Daytime does snooty bitchiness better than MTS. I’m so happy Diane brought up Nikki bashing her head in with a rock .

The men in Genoa City really can’t help but cheat on the women they’re dating when the woman goes out of town. Devon and Abby getting on their high horses was hilarious.

Edited by Antoyne