GH: January 2024 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I find Esme to be just an exhausting character.  I think Avery Pohl is super talented and does a great job, but this girl has so much baggage.  And I am not just talking about 30 pound Ace

Please register in order to view this content

She falls into the same category as Nelle to me (down to the hair) and she just needs to pop in and out or something.  She's not a main character, IMO

• Members

Even her name gets on my last nerve.  No offense to anyone out there named "Esme," but, boy, did your parents set out to ruin your life!

Exactly.  Tracy Angelica Quartermaine's motto: "If you're gonna commit a crime, do it right!"

Edited by Khan

• Members

Yes, they certainly do.  Those 2 actors are the best casting of "younger" adult characters on this show since the 1990s.  Esme's portrayer gives such a layered, complex performance every single time.  The character being the daughter of 2 classic GH villains (also being related to and guided by Kevin and Laura, the polar opposites of her biological parents, is a nice bit of symmetry).  That's the kind of legacy continuation we need!  I hope that push-and-pull tension stays balanced so they don't burn her up quickly into a cartoon villain.  Esme easily deserves to be the younger female lead for the show.  She's much more interesting than Joss or Trina.

I don't know why this show wastes time on Flynn's dumb malpractice story or Willow's idiotic, irrational hatred for Nina.

• Members

Personally I have long thought that GH is remarkable in the amount of very gifted, talented, hard working young adults! And I do count her along with Joss, Trina, Cam who I still miss, and Spencer. However, I can't see making an uber-villainess the young female lead. I definitely do not find her more interesting, though, but that is because she is such a villainess, so it's the writing of necessity that keeps her from more. Right now she is becoming more interesting because she's remembered, although she's lying about that, still. It's not a competition but if I were told to pick one who is most interesting it would be Taby. Trina regularly has the best in story. 

• Members

I'm not a legal scholar (but I play one on TV haha), but this Esme cliffhanger made no sense.

What does she have to lose by going to the police?  Nobody can prove that she got her memory back simply because she called him “Spence”.  She couldn't really be prosecuted a second time for her past crimes.  And, she could get child support from Nikolas. At the very least, she should expect a pay-out to keep quiet. 

Instinctively, it doesn't feel like Nikolas will keep Ace long term.  But, it is a unique solution to make Esme a viable antagonist while getting rid of her obligation to a baby.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I should have said amazing acting chemistry.  Like DT has with most actresses (except BK, oddly enough), I think AP and NAC just have a natural rapport that comes across.  I still feel like NAC's scenes with TA are awkward and clunky.

Edited by depboy

• Members

Yes, they do.

Esme is my favorite character on the show and I would lose a lot of interest in watching if she leaves. I am maintaining a log of her appearances. Yesterday was the 211th episode in which she has appeared.

• Members

I feel like the show has faked killed her several times and it hasn't stuck lol.  

Again, I think AP is very talented.  I just don't see any future for her as a heroine.  Just a villian that pops in from time to time.  Honestly, she should take her kid and leave for now.  I don't see Nik or Spencer raising Ace long term.  I am pretty much just echoing @Vee's entire post.