Y&R: December 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think the biggest issue I had with Victor’s faking a health scare was given EB’s own medical issues the last couple of years not to mention coming off of Dina’s Alzheimer’s a few years back…Victor faking going senile was in poor taste and I’m glad Lily did compare Victor to Ashland last week as she should.

It be better if Victor was more cantankerous and kept his aging in jest while disappointed he can’t do the same things he use to could do; heck even Days gave Stefano diabetes. 

Of course Josh Griffith was writing Katherine’s umpteenth needless health crisis in 2013 with Cooper got abruptly ill and passed away as the story was getting underway…and JC ad-libbed the “Good night” scene. 

• Members

I didn't like how he had zero remorse when talking to Devon and said it was completely okay to do that because it was for a good cause. 

I wonder if EB had anything to do with that because, it started our with Victoria plotting to make it look like he was senile. Then, it was changed to he was faking.

• Members

They put Nate into business as that was JG's(misguided) direction for the show.

As a doctor he would have limited interaction with other characters unless they kept coming up with medical crises. They were trying to cut down on sets so a hospital/clinic set was untenable.

It might have worked had Nate arrived in town already disenchanted with medicine due to some happenings before he arrived.

• Members

Being that ATWT is my favorite all time soap opera, I would gladly take up that challenge. It would be bittersweet because of the stalwarts that we’ve recently lost, especially Kathryn Hays, Elizabeth Hubbard and Lisa Brown. The weaving of a newer generation of Oakdale residents (Hope Dixon, etc.). It would’ve been wonderful to have seen Kim as a grandmother to a Hope who returns to Oakdale as a young woman and is finding the adjustment difficult to make, and a strengthening of the relationship between Lucinda and Lily and Holden’s youngest kids, not to mention seeing them with Iva and the tension that might have caused. Such a shame that we never got to see it.

• Members

Not necessarily, especially if they had transitioned Nate away from the work of performing actual medical procedures and into the administration of medical care or even have him gravitate to the field of biotechnology. He would likely spend more time in an office, in front of a computer poring over algorithms and spreadsheets. He could still have maintained some semblance of connection to the medical field while having a foot in the business world. Also, it may have put Nate in a position that would come with  developing and holding a cutting edge product that perhaps Newman or Chancellor/Winters would want, putting the character in more of a position to bargain instead of begging to work at these companies. I do realize though that Josh doesn’t really want to give these companies or characters actual products to produce or market besides clothes.

It made no sense to put someone with the specialized skills of a doctor and shove him into generic marketing of communications.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

So Esther joined the job hoppers by moving from the short lived position at Chancellor/winters?

I was ffing -did Esther just have that one scene? If so, why not have her at least in another scene at CL? Of course, it was odd she was there at all.

I thought Nikki's AA scene was good and effectively staged-was that just a wall on the GCAC set? Goes to show what a little creativity can acheive. More than 2 extras would have been good,especially when one wider shot made that too obvious. I didn't like how the scene was used for recap with Nikki talking about how she was kidnapped. It took away from the mood of the scene. All she needed to say was that she was forced into having booze.

Then they went to the trouble of having the pianist who spoke!!

Those extra scenes add a lot, instead of Nikki just telling Victor about her AA or her playing the piano herself.