GH: December 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It stuck out like a sore thumb that Maxie is having money issues, but Molly and TJ can afford multiple rounds of surrogacy without an issue when the typical cost is $100,000.00

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by j swift

• Members

I have almost flip flopped my stance on this.  The girl probably gets so much hate from keyboard warriors as it is.  It's.....not that big of a deal.  Maxie could look more presentable, but it's just not the point anymore.

He's a doctor and she's a lawyer.  They seem to live a pretty sustainable life without luxury.  I don't think it's that crazy.  I assume they have savings and 401K's and stuff.

And their surrogate lost the baby pretty early on.  I don't think they paid her the entire cost.

• Members

Yeah, my sister has been a lawyer for years and isn't rich.  I can see that, but I think the optics of their careers make it more believable than how it actually looks on paper.  Like, I personally bought it without too much thought.  I am not saying you are wrong, but I was just thinking they lived pretty modestly and had some savings.

Edited by carolineg

• Members

Just for further clarification, because it sparked my interest, the base pay prior to IVF for a surrogate is $35,000.00 and the agency fee is $40,000.  So, it's close to $100,000 before anyone even conceives.

Which renders the idea that Molly could conspire with her sister and not tell TJ illogical, because the cost would be noticeable for any couple.  Upon review, you can't just get your sister to be a surrogate and avoid the fee, because that is how the legal and medical expenses are paid.

On another note, while I'm pleased that the Pikeman story seems to be getting some legs. Did anyone else feel like now that the strike is over, the writers did a major re-set this week in order to get their prior stories back on track?  For example, Nina standing up to Michael, Drew making academic decisions, and Chase's proposal all felt like a sudden shift in focus and motives for these characters.  Even Ava's confession to Nina managed to avoid a lot of strike material.

Edited by j swift