General Hospital: October 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

Lmaooo @ this pathetic whore getting all salty that she wasn’t invited to the wedding. The way she’s treated everyone all year and she has the balls to get upset???

Friggin psychopath. I hope she really is hurt by that. She deserves to feel that way. 

And btw Frank, making her be the one to rescue Ava is not gonna make any of us like her or think she has a heart. Sprina should be the ones to save Ava.

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I know this Nina/Sonny wedding is going to blow up, but does Nina really want to get married in Puerto Rico?  Does she know Sonny's actually brought every woman he's ever dated there?  Honestly does Nina really know anything about Sonny's past at all?  This is not really Nina/Sonny specific and probably belongs in the people married many times thread because every love story culminates in marriage on soaps.  I watched the montage and sure, it's cute, but I honestly feel they only know like the Cliff Notes version about one another's life.   I don't know, I guess I just hate Sonny spewing the same old crap to woman that will be out of his orbit shortly.  I just don't find a Sonny wedding to be this groundbreaking event.

• Members

It’s the shallow nature of them on the show. There is so little time spent on character. Once upon a time we would have had long scenes of them getting to know each other, and things from their pasts would have come up and been part of their relationship. We get scenes with Nina/Sonny but the dialogue is so generic it could be anybody.  It feels like their entire relationship is more about Willow/Michael and Carly than them. Other couples fare better and have more specificity. But Nina being nothing like she was under Stafford and Sonny just existing are strange.  Recurring Ned and Olivia are actual characters on the show right now compared to Nina and Sonny!

Seeing Lois again is such a delight, but it also makes me sad. Outside of Ned she spent most of her scenes before with the Quartermaine family that is long gone, and Brenda. Really only Sonny is left. 

I have to give the show credit- it looks even better right now. The sets, the staging and lighting are all fantastic. Fake Puerto Rico looks better than the fake island scenes under JFP. And with today’s budget that is something!

Edited by titan1978

• Members

You really expanded on what I was trying to say much better.   I have no idea what makes Nina different to Sonny than any other woman he dated.   They are very generic and I don't feel like I know anything about their actual relationship.  They just seem like two people that get along well, not desperately in love.   Even if the show delved into the comfort and stability of two people finding love that fits them better than the fiery, passionate affairs of their youth it would be more interesting.   Painting Sonny/Nina as a love that they have never experienced before is just weird and the family co-signing this nonsense like they haven't watched their dad get married multiple times.  I will never be a Nina or Nina/Sonny fan, but the show was on to something when they fell in love and Sonny thought he was Mike.  Instead of exploring how being Mike really changed him this romance has fallen into usual Sonny patterns.

I actually really can't wait for Sonny/Lois scenes, but I agree about there being so few people she knows still on canvas.  Even people she spent less time with like Robin, Jax, Jason, etc are gone.

• Members

Frank does keep pulling things out of his magic hat! I found all of the revisitation of NF insufferable. But. I love Nina's dress & I adore Donna Corinthos being excited that she too, like Avery, will now get to have 2 Mommys! Lord, with Sonny & with her being very young, she may get to have 4 or 5 Mommys!!! 

I don't think I will ever see "Sona" as a great love ship but this staging & these production values are super. 

• Members

It's an excellent point in general about the show, but to be fair specifically about this couple, Nina was in a coma for a long, long time, so Sonny pretty much knows what's happened to her ever since then.

But seriously, Sonny has always idolized the women he loved.  He never really wanted to get to know them, because he was in love with the ideal of them, not the reality.  He just wants to put them on a pedestal and then when they want something more, he loses interest.  I feel like that's why it never worked with Alexis, because she would have expected a partner, not an admirer.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I disagree with this take on Sonny.  The problem with Sonny and his women is not the fact he put them on a pedestal or was in love with the idea of them.  I have made many posts over the years about the issues with Sonny and women and I am not going to hijack the thread talking about 30 years of toxic relationships, but Alexis was not the only woman who expected Sonny to be a partner.   The only woman Sonny idolized and put on a pedestal was his mother.   I am sure you can argue at times it felt like Lily, Brenda or Carly were put on a pedestal by him, but his actual behavior doesn't indicate that.  And his relationship with Nina doesn't even have half the depth of any of those relationships.  Anyhow, that's just my opinion on it.

• Members

I know Frank loves Jeff Korber as an actor, but haven't we seen enough of Cyrus at this point? And no, those scenes with Sister Laura don't make me care about him or their relationship.

I agree that what we know about Sonny and Nina's relationship is surface-level, but for me believing they're in love trumps that -- and I do believe they're in love.

However, I also think GH is stupid enough to break them apart about 2 hours after they're married. I think that's a much bigger fail than not knowing more insight into their love story.

• Members

I think with Sarah's original Carly, the relationship was more complex as well. Tamara's Carly who became the full blown mob queen, that changed for me (and I liked Tamara). I think his relationship with Brenda was also complicated and volatile well into middle age, something I only appreciated much more once they were both much older.

• Members

There is a lot of complexity to early Sonny/Carly.  The show spent a lot of time building both Sonny/Brenda and Sonny/Carly and I think both were very different pairings and relationships that made sense as part of the evolution of the characters.

While I agree with the fact he loved these women (including Nina), I don't agree with the fact that he idolized these women.  I think there are aspects of these women that he found particularly attractive (ie Brenda's beauty and charisma, Carly's loyalty, Lily's acceptance, Alexis's intelligence, etc), but I don't think Sonny truly respected any of them as an equal partner and they all take 2nd to his business.

With Nina/Sonny I do think they get along well and love each other, but there isn't anything on the page or on screen that merit this huge event wedding. Most of their relationship has been either Sonny following Nina around at the MC or talking about Willow/Michael/Carly.   I know it's a big deal for Nina, but why is Sonny acting like he hasn't written at least a dozen similar vows at this point?   If the whole event wasn't treated like this was a brand-new experience for both of them, I would be okay with it.  Because I do agree the production looks lovely.

• Members

May I repeat my objection that Michael has a "friend" at the SEC who is willing to expose the informant?

Beyond the ethics of the SEC exposing an informant to the son of a defendant:

1.  How would someone at the SEC know who asked Martin to call them?  I doubt Martin said that Nina told him to call them because that would totally spoil why Martin would be representing his client.

2. If he has a friend who is a g-man, why didn't he ask him to help Carly?  This friend seems to have suddenly popped up at the most covenant time for the plot. I can't help but think that this is a scab writer's only way to make the confrontation occur, despite being illogical. 

I'm hoping we didn't see the guy's face because another shoe is ready to drop.

And, I still don't know how exposing Nina frees Drew if he's guilty.  I understand Alexis going after the judge, but Nina did nothing wrong, while Drew and Carly are culpable.

Edited by j swift

• Members

At some point earlier Marty let Nina know that someone was nosing around trying to get access to his phone records, or logs? Something like that. He was concerned & wanted her to know but he thought he could keep them from gaining access. Clearly at that time they were planting the seed that she might not stay anonymous, that there was some danger of that. But, if they had been able to get his records they'd know what clients he talked to, when, and deduce who the actual whistleblower was. And, if they couldn't do it legally, there's still the imagined threat that they would do it illegally & know who even if there'd be no way to use it in court. Because the knowledge would give them leverage. At that time I thought Marty should simply destroy them & do so immediately. He wouldn't need them after billing had been done. Why would he hold onto them? In case of an audit? Paper records probably vanish fairly often. 

I think it's more about the dangers of Nina being "found out" by Sonny & Willow & not about getting Drewfus released. Presumably Sonny would not like her being a rat, talking to the cops at all, etc. because of his code. Presumably Willow would hate her doing that to Carly. And, of course, Nina doesn't want either Sonny or Willow mad at her.