DAYS Promo "A National Treasure"

• Members

I'm sure you understand my point that treating the complexities of aging as a heart-warming saga, whether due to trauma or dementia, lacks sensitivity.  Telling a story that focuses on how strangers are necessary to assist this sweet old man against the backdrop of a health care system that is chronically inadequate for elderly patients feels patronizing to me.

Edited by j swift

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yes I agree with that, in general.  Although they do treat him with dignity in the episode.

They also said in the Sept 4 eppy that he'd been shuffled around the VA hospital system but nobody knew what to do with him.

Edit to add - he'd been shuffled around the VA system for years. 
(VA is "veterans administration" for anyone outside the USA unfamiliar with the term.  It's the federal agency for military veterans.  The agency administers many things, including a nationwide system of military hospitals/clinics)

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Man, this is the first time I've ever wished I had Peacock and definitely the first time in nearly 20 years I've wanted to actively watch Days. DVD looks amazing, so spry and quick-witted and engaged. I don't even care about the story, I just want to watch him work. Do we know how long he's going to be around for?