Ken Corday interview on the move to Peacock.

• Members

We'll see.. 

But NBC should've gave TPTB more warning this was happening. February of next year is a long time for anyone to wait for these changes. A curse when it comes to filming episodes nearly nine months in advance. I haven't seen one promo yet of the move to Peacock during DAYS or anytime on the network. If they were smart, they would use Deidre Hall in the promo about the move to Peacock. 

Edited by Forever8

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Last I heard it was 7 months - the 6 in the can & one more month written & fully vetted & ready to tape. Of course, that's splitting a fine hair, sorry, because it's a long d*mn time to go betw air show & audience reaction whether it's 6 or 7 or 9! Godawful is what it is, altho I know they credit if w/ being the reason they could cut their budget in half & therefore stay on the air till now.

• Members

I still think that if someone had let fans know about the move to Peacock sooner, there wouldn’t have been as much backlash 

Haha I’ve noticed that too. So many people (Twitter, the Dishin Days crew, now Corday) assumed that people just don’t want to watch on Peacock (and were pretty nasty about it too lol), not that they might not be able to. 

• Members

You might be right. There does seem to be an undertone of peeps who do not like to be rushed! Face it, as soap fans go, we don't like change. So, mebbe more time to get used to an idea is an idea whose time has come?!!

Please register in order to view this content

Now that line used to be: It's still [insertsoapname] but it's not your grandmother's [insertsamename] anymore. A shift? A vortex?

Edited by Tonksadora
New thought.

• Members

It seems like DAYS got more media coverage back in 2019 when they released all the actors.

It will be interesting to see if there are renewal talks, how they will go. Will they actually be doing most of the negotiations before episodes made especially for Peacock even air? If they get renewed, the first thing to go has to be 5 sixty minute episodes per week. There's no point now.

• Members

It’s pretty hard to take anything Corday says seriously, because in another part of the interview, he mentions Canada getting the show a day early. That hasn’t been true for about 10 years. Shouldn’t he know that? 

• Members

That I'm not sure about, tbh. I think we have a bit more leeway as it is, as Nielsen calculates ratings differently up here vs. the US, so it attaches people meters to people instead of in the home, thus viewings outside the home have been included for about a decade now, unsure what changes have happened since then, so the ratings may be less egregious here vs. the US, thus higher ad rates. But don't quote me on that. I'll have a look.

Yeah that was my takeaway as well. If NBC was truly dedicated to making this succeed, they would have burned thru the NBC episodes and given the show time to prepare a splashy premiere for Peacock to hype people up for the big debut, similar to the fanfare that Beyond Salem has been given.

Instead we get "LOL guess what in a few weeks you're off TV and sometime next year you get extra cussing and an extra five minutes!"

I think it's the unceremonious way they're doing it that gives me pause about the show's future, and I can safely say most detractors feel the same. Corday's oblivious interview really does nothing to address those concerns.

• Members

Well over 80% of homes used a streaming service. For the time being Xfinity customers can access Peacock. So with paid subscribers and Xfinity - it's roughly 30MM homes that have access.

Comcast already has a ton of streaming data for DAYS, the 2 BS weeks, 1 Xmas special. For example, they know whether there's been upticks when DAYS was pre-empted nationally and only available on streaming, which episodes are the most popular, which parts (characters), people FF, etc. This isn't some blind or random decision. 

I'm assuming the big promo push will happen right after Labor Day (the week before the shift). Too much promo now would get lost in the clutter. The beauty of the streaming platform - if diehard DAYS fans don't get the message for a week or a month, etc., if they do get Peacock, they'll be able to catch up since all those episodes will be available.

Is this great for everybody? No. But it's not call show *business* for nothing. Programs get cancelled all the time. DAYS has a lifeline so I'd prefer to be optimistic. Frankly, if they moved to a model with 3 weekly episodes that eliminated redundancy and made for tighter stories, I'd be happy with that.

• Webmaster

THIS is how you promote a show's move to streaming exclusively...not to mention announcing it at least five months in advance.

Disney+ Launches ‘Dancing With The Stars’ Premiere Campaign To Entice Viewers To Watch Live On Streamer

https://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2022/08/disney-dancing-with-the-stars-premiere-campaign-entice-viewers

• Members

Disney+ is one of the streaming success stories, but between Marvel, Star Wars, and the classic Disney library, they were too big to fail. Peacock, comparatively, is not and has never been on the same level. 

I'd also say we'll never see any of the ABC/Disney-owned soaps on Disney+ because they will never pay to digitize them. With Disney's already massive library, they likely see the soaps as last on that list and as content that would devalue the brand they're trying to build with that platform (fair or not). You'll never see them move GH exclusively on that service. 

• Webmaster

Agreed. Although, I think Disney succeeded due to when it launched, brand recognition, its numerous deals with the likes of Verizon for instance, and a good marketing push at a low cost helped it. It didn't hurt that it launched pre-pandemic and had content that kept people in doors, similar to Netflix.

Where Netflix succeeded during the pandemic was its consistent fresh content. Disney+ succeeded due to its vast library of entertainment. The other streamers launched during the pandemic and found a lot of content they had acquired or would later acquire already on a rival streamer, such as The Office and Friends for Peacock and HBO Max. Once those shows moved over, they started to do better. However, the rollout by HBO Max was slightly helped by finding a mature/adult (male) audience which is now considered one of the better, if not the best, streamer in terms of quality content.

Peacock's failure starts with its name, then how it was rolled out. Peacock is a brand only recognized by TV fanatics in that it is the mascot of NBC (the Peacock network). Other than that who wants to join a service that to them makes no sense name wise and is offense when you separate out the name (pee-co-ck). Not only could you get you content banned by YouTube if you use just one of the words, or at the very least demonetized, but it doesn't scream quality content. It screams crap. Shit. Bottom of the barrel. The service needs to be rebranded. Either call it Universal+ or Comcast+. It also needs to stop trying to capture the audience who watches NBC. The shows people watched on the network were never owned by them outside of The Office. While that show was a demo hit it wasn't truly a total viewer hit which is why the service currently doesn't have a broad appealing show, even with the success of Bel-Air. That show was good and widely liked. For Peacock, it did well. But I doubt it is a Netflix sized hit.

As for General Hospital. I doubt it'll ever go to Disney+ as well. It's meant for Hulu, the more adult of Disney's three streaming services. Since Hulu with Live TV is a big ticket and financial success for the company, I doubt they'd abandon that money by merging Hulu with Disney+. But I don't see any other soap moving to streaming exclusive anytime soon. 

• Members

I disagree with you on the name. Peacock is a lot more interesting, and conveys that it is part of the NBC family. Anything + sounds unoriginal. It reminds me of all the talk shows that start with the word THE. The View, The Talk, The Chew, The Revolution, The Real. It drives me insane.