Y&R June 2022 Discussion Thread

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

First of all... @janea4old Mr. Zac Tinker is SINGLE  *starts to fix his hair*

Second of all...I saw the tribute episode. God, I could watch the Abbotts all day sometimes. I loved that Ashley and Traci invited Allie out to let her learn more about them. 

And those flashbacks!!! I loved the Traci vs Lauren rivalry (including when Lauren finally apologized to her...a scene I had heard of but never seen was shown). I love seeing Danny. I loved seeing early Brad/Traci. And then all of Ashley's scenes. It has been clear that Ashley was so John's daughter, but I rarely see early Ashley scenes so I was eating ALL of that up. I could see why Bill Bell liked to write for her. She was a great muse to write to.

I do admit that the last 30 minutes had some funky dialogue for me, but overall I liked it all. 

• Members

Still no word if there is going to be a special episode for Jess Walton's 35th anniversary. 

If there isn't then maybe during the 50th anniversary week there might be something Jill-focused, since Jill is the only original character left.

• Members

I caught up with DAYS and Y&R today while avoiding cleaning out the dishwasher.

Does Newman Industries no longer manufacture cosmetics?  They seem to have gone from a management conglomerate to a single industry focused family company.

I guess a media company can be headquartered anywhere in 2002, but am I correct that Newman, Chancellor, and now Victoria's company all producing online content?  That seems written by a person who hasn't listened to podcasts or watched YouTube in the past year.

Edited by j swift

• Members

LOL lord I doubt it would get that bad but then again maybe we’ll see Newman and Jabot move their HQ to LA just so the can film outdoors for be cheap.

Speaking of Newman ya the ping pong of who is going to run Newman is getting old, and I’m glad Nick actually made the point of how the constant CEO changes will affect public opinion along with shareholders opinions, something that rarely gets brought up with these internal power struggles. 

Tessa’s medical crisis is horribly written PSA material.

• Members

I'd strongly entertain an argument that story-wise latter-days GL was more creatively interesting than YR right now but production-wise there are ways to go before we scrape that barrel.

But I fully agree that the current state of YR feels like the product of indifference by people who are OK getting by on autopilot for as long as they can get away with it.

• Members

Well, the "new production model" of end times GL was an amalgam of several things: CBS dictated that certain things would be done; a severe lack of funds dictated in another way things that would & would not be done; and the boots on the ground invented how they were going to manage this. Then, creatively, they had to figure out how to tell story in this new milieu. I doubt that Y&R today has as much forced on them. But, is there a "yet" hanging in the air?

• Members

As you rightfully said, I don't think there is anyone left over there that cares enough to force anything on them.

They are fine with the mediocrity as long as the fumes of the glory of days past keeps the show with decent numbers and they'll have no compunction cutting it loose once reality bites.

• Members

I think it's great that this year the Daytime Emmys were on broadcast TV, in person again, and that different people won awards & shows won awards. And, I find it very interesting that soap fans can pivot from being pleased about the awards to being thoughtful about the state of things & even embrace things we live with like mediocrity. Golf clap! Well said.