Great Pitch, Poor Execution

• Members

Guiding Light....where do I start?

Between 93-95 there were quite a few stories that looked good on paper, but were poorly executed. Roger/Jenna storyline seemed to be dragged out too long. Alan's return, with him and Alan-Michael being interested in the same woman (Tangie) looked good on paper perhaps, but played out as dull as dishwater, with nobody caring about the woman "caught" in the middle nor caring about Ron Raine's incarnation of Alan Spaulding. The story was convoluted and penned to prop one of JFP's pets. 

Vanessa falling for a younger man (Matt Reardon), just didn't seal the deal for me with how it was executed on screen.

The Brent Lawrence story, had some legs, but spiraled out of control in the end. 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That was the main problem with the storyline for me.  I kept saying at the time....everyone is OK with this?  It's a problem in general for B&B which is - just another problem they've always had.  These people are supposed to be world-famous - but then almost no one knows them.  Stephanie was lost and homeless for God sake, and that was back when B&B was GOOD.  It never made sense.  The fact that there's no paparazzi makes no sense.  Then they go to Australia or Monaco and they're popular and recognized THERE??  But with Maya, that was the whole issue for me.  Some resistance, continuing bad press, even Rick just taking a TINY bit of TIME and having some ISSUES with Maya, before really realizing that he LOVED her would have done it for me.  We got nothing.  It was terrible.

In regard to cult stories, I remember reading once that GL/Pam Long pitched the idea and they didn't go for it.  That was in the 80's....for some reason they said it was too controversial.  It would have been interesting for one of the 4 musketeers to have gotten wrapped up in something like that.  

• Members

In regard to Pam Long, I remember SOD ran an article questioning why plots are recycled from show to show, and writers interviewed said their ideas get shot down when they pitch something different. Long said the cult story would've been about people with problems and the people who prey on them and program them. She said she gave up the fight because telling the story would lead tbtp to make changes, making the story something different. I believe the article was in the late 80's and always wondered when, and who would've been involved in the story.

• Members

I'm glad yall are talking about the Maya storyline. It was an interesting idea, but the wrong character I feel. I hated how once she was revealed as transgender, she lost all of her layers and deviousness. It was like had to be a saint now that she was trans. It just felt regressive and I knew the moment they did that storyline that her time was numbered. She was literally the lead of B&B for a while and as soon as Brad put that story on her back he pulled back. 

• Members

I'm pretty shock to see so many mentions of the Maya storyline, majority of the soap press and fans speak highly of it. So grateful for this thread because I get a chance to cut for boy Charles Pratt, Jr.

Jesse has a second family from 2008 on All My Children: This was a great idea IMO, who believed hypersexual Jesse was celibate for 20 years?? Nobody.... The only problem was the supposed timing of their romance, and the age of his daughter. It came off to me that Shannon Kane was being cast as Cassie and they just said forget that and make her Jesse new daughter. The writers made it seem as though he faked his death just to hop into another relationship with that screwed up timing. Natalia needed to be the same age Frankie was when Jesse "Died" so if they went ahead with killing Rebecca it would be like god giving them a second chance at parenthood. I bought into how Jesse grew feelings for this nice lady who offer him food and shelter during that scary time in his life.

Bianca and Zach creates a baby behind Kendall's back 2008 on All My Children: Loved this storyline idea, the execution was all wrong. Even on paper I would ask for a breakdown of story beats before moving forward.  (Family betrayal) is a soap staple so.... Bianca always been selfish. Erica choosing Kendall side for once. Zendall angst that didn't include Greenlee and Ryan were all things I was excited to see. I love the Reese but Bianca returning home with Maggie or even Laura would've worked just fine! I would still have the engagement but set the date for the 40th. Come up with some frantic reason for them to rush into this situation. Have Maggie be the one that chooses Zach as the donor. Bianca wrestle with the decision but ultimately go ahead with it, She realize she's Pregnant as Kendall wake's up. And Josh returns home who also is beefing with Zach, everybody is disappointed in Princess Bianca.

• Members

I hated how they eventually took Patty past the place of no return. The actress did such an amazing job with the character and was so engaging! I wish they would have kept Patty as someone who was a bit off and eccentric. She could have had long-term viability that way.

On another note, I wish I could have been in the writer's room at Y&R when they came up with the beyond convoluted Abby/Chance/Devon/Mariah surrogacy story. On what planet did this seem like a good idea???

Edited by pdm1974

• Members

It's kind of like what Douglas Marland said about the Jeff/Heather/Peter/Diana baby drama when he took over head-writing GH.  To him, Peter and Diana unwittingly adopted PJ/Steven Lars solely because the writers wrote it that way.  It didn't feel organic.  (I think the words he used to describe the plot were "too mechanical.")

• Members

On paper, I'm sure the Justine storyline on Another World sounded much better than what played out on screen.  The change in writers and producers didn't help the storyline.  Justine could have filled the Iris role in Bay City as someone who was looking to stir up trouble for Rachel and Carl, much like Alexis did to Blake and Krystal on Dynasty.  Rather, JFP and the writers turned her into an over the top villain who was deformed when she fell from a train trestle.  Then even gave her a hook for a hand like Captain Hook.  At this point, not even a talented actress like Victoria Wyndham could save this storyline; but, I do think that if they had turned Justine into an Alexis/Iris type character who was there to stir up trouble that it would have worked and Wyndham could have carried it off.

• Members

I think the Justine story was always going to be an over the top villain deformed etc. They didn't turn her into it; that was the plan all along once they came up with the idea, wasn't it?
But where I do agree that the theoretical pieces - VW in a double role, Grant and Ryan's mother, former love to Carl, villain - could have worked in a completely different story (and especially with a completely different acting choice).