Promised Land - New Midseason Drama

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

From TV insider:
Matt Cedeño is set to guest on Promised Land. He plays "Tomas Gutierrez, a labor attorney representing the fruit workers against the Sandovals’ Heritage House vineyard. Look for sparks to fly between this one and Veronica after she is installed as CEO."

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Oh wow. 

The series is not terrible. Although I find the backstory to be far more interesting than the current stories, which seem fairly generic.

They seem to use that character Margaret to lay out exposition. I did like how that conversation between Lettie and Margaret was written in episode 3. Not too expository (for once) and just enough sniping dialogue beneath the surface to give the scene some bite. And in the meantime, we get to learn some nuggets about the family dynamics and the nature of Lettie and Margaret's relationship. If only all the scenes where writers needed to inform us could have been written that way.

Still, the pacing within episode 3 was solid, it certainly didn't drag.

Margaret's dialogues need to be improved, they often come off as somewhat clumsy, laying out exposition for the sake of giving out information, but given the ABC/Hulu situation, the writers may not have time.

• Members

Just watched episode 4 on Hulu.  Really enjoyed it.  Lots of interesting intertwining stories coming to points of tension.  All the siblings were interesting!  Loved all the dynamics.

I can't wait to see what happens next! so that's a good sign.

FYI, in episode 4. I thought present-day Margaret fit better this time as part of the larger canopy of all the extended family.  Her dialog wasn't as forced/expositional as previously.

However, Bellamy Young doesn't feel like as good an actor as the rest of the cast. (IMO).
The present-day Margaret is written to be phony, but still.
She's so different from the days-of-their-youth Margaret.

All the rest of the characters feel like real people to me, which is a real achievement for a soap that features a wealthy family.  A testimony to good acting and writing, I think.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

I hope it can somehow thrive on Hulu, but I'm not getting my hopes up and will just enjoy the six episodes that are left.

I really enjoy that it's a fairly straight-forward prime time soap that's not necessarily trying to be clever. But maybe that's the issue in todays landscape where you have to have a twist? Featuring a largely latin cast and flashbacks isn't enough to capture people's attention.

• Members

To be fair - the ratings were really bad. The last episode had a 0.15 in the 18-49 demographic, which means it was almost adjusted down to 0.1 in the finals and even with the poor broadcast ratings these days ABC just can't let that stand. I hope it can somehow thrive on streaming as I personally enjoy it and like that it's a no frills prime time soap.

• Members

Why? Everyone know each season ratings will dip with TV shows. If the first season had terrible ratings, don't expect season two to get any better, probably get worse. It didn't find its audience and lets be real, Prime Time TV is no longer the king, with so many streaming services taking over.