Days: New SOD

• Members

KevC, I did not like the Jack being dead a 3rd time either. I think it is a very terrible story. The only thing I liked about it this time is the more human drama it caused. I loved the awesome scenes with Jack wanting to make sure Jennifer and the kids were taken care of. I also liked him wanting to make sure Frankie would be there for them. It was a very touching story in that sense. I also loved seeing him wrestle with the suicide.

I would have loved it better if JER would have just killed Jack off though. It would have been more poignant and real human drama. I don't know Jack may be dead - esp. since we have not seen him anymore. But I think it would have been better if they found the body and then watching Jen move on and the fans know that Jack was not coming back.

I would just love to see him do a death story and committ to it. But JER is not the only writer that can't do that anymore in soaps. Even Brad Bell couldn't stick with it with the Felicia Forrester story. Fans loved her so lets not kill her off like we planned. They had to create a twist.

That is one of the reasons I can't invest myself in death stories anymore, because they never seem to die anymore.

I will be glad when we do find out if Jack is going to stay gone or what. At least give us some closure to it. But even my disgust with the 3rd death, doesn't interfere with my love for the show right now.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Matt Ashford has said in comments to various fans that TPTB have promised him Jack has a big juicy SL coming up on DAYS - I presume the Jack/Jen/Frankie triangle will kick into gear during May sweeps.

And, Matt finishes doing his play at the end of March, so maybe after that, he'll be back taping more DAYS episodes(I hope, fingers crossed).

Yeah, I guess you'd call me not a true DAYS supporter, because Jack/Jennifer are really the only reason I have to tune into the show - is it wrong to be a fan principally of one couple?

• Members

Oh, spare me.

The only story worth a damn at the moment is the Shimi/Shelle story and that's because it's moving.

The other storylines are for [!@#$%^&*]. The 90's quad redux has even topped the Alex stupidity, IMO.

And I don't think J/J's treatment has anything to do with the fans. It has everything to do with JER and his lack of interest (and possible hate for Matt Ashford). Even in the 90's, Jack/Jennifer/Peter were not a 1st tier story. Hell, they weren't even a 2nd tier story. They were a filler story for the off days. And, even when they were on,, the story was more about Peter than it was Jack and Jennifer. Jack and Jennifer were reactionary shells to Peter's antics. JER can't have Peter Blake back, his Patrick idea fell thru, and so he's now settled for Frankie (or Corday foisted him on JER). Jack being off canvas has proved to me that JER is as interested in Jennifer and Frankie as he is in Jack and that is to say not very much. I think the rumors about Missy Reeves are completely true, and I don't blame her for moving on.

• Members

Evan, I guess you could say it only becomes a problem when the ones who watch only for a couple don't watch and the ratings drop so low that the show is cancelled and taken off the air. No other network will even be interested then.

Then with not too many shows having the budget to hire vets anymore, the stars can't even get roles in daytime, and the characters and the actors are off your screen forever.

When that happens to the show and the characters are gone forever without any possibility of returning those fans have no one to blame but themselves.

I have lived through so many of my favorite shows being cancelled and so many of the characters I have loved are gone. I miss the days when I got to enjoy Victoria Wyndham who is had no luck in getting a job since then. She wasn't always the lead of the story but she was there and I got to enjoy her from time to time.

Just look at all the shows cancelled since the mid-1980's. There are not very many of those actors that got other roles in daytime. And now that many shows like I said are hiring more unknowns I don't look for many of these actors getting other jobs once the show goes off.

LOL

;)

• Members

This Carrie stuff is awesome. Just as inane-yet-entertaining as the story was in the 90s. I mean, her only options are Lucas or Austin? There's something about that that kicks ass. All they've got to do now is build to a climax as satisfying as Carrie decking Sami.

• Members

No it's not wrong IMO. There's shows I've watched for only one character or couple before.

I agree though J/J have gotten the most screwed of any fanbase. I truly don't think JER likes Matt, and I don't think Corday does either with the treatment Matt's gotten in the past from Days.

• Members

I do too King. It is very interesting and Carrie's desire for a child and her biological clock gives the story a brand new twist. I love that the characters have such a rich history to play on too. It makes it a whole lot more interesting than if it were characters that we didn't care about at all.

• Members

Not at all. I'm a huge Shelle fan (as if you couldn't tell by my signature). Austin and Carrie are also big faves of mine, and I saw Sami's interference coming 10,000 miles away. But my favorite couple is Bo and Hope, always has been. That said, what happened needed to take place because Peter and Kristian hadn't had a really good, juicy story to sink their teeth into for quite some time. I'm a Jack/Jennifer fan who feels the couple has been badly mistreated (and in defense of Days, most of what they're doing now with J/J is the result of the stupid choices made during Jim's first year back writing... but I don't wanna go there... :lol: )

It's a delicate subject. Appease the fans, don't piss off the fanbases. So far, so good. Give J/J/Frankie some good story to play off of and we don't have this conversation all the time. It starts with getting Matt Ashford back on the canvas, even if we have to wait until May sweeps to get it. :)

• Members

I'm a fan of the story too, and being an "original" watcher of the great quadrangle in the '90s, it's almost like watching a surreal soap seeing it so good again and with these characters I first grew to love, as a soap watcher.

However.

I've said it once and I'll say it again: what does this genetic incompatibility have to do with whom is Carrie's TRUE love? Why can't she just say, "oh well, that means we can't have kids, we'll just adopt"?

Isn't that better than being with someone who isn't your real soulmate?!

Come to think of it, Sheridan is making the same choice on "Passions." !@#$%^&*] KNOWS her heart belongs completely with Luis, that they've spent several lifetimes together, and STILL she thinks it's somehow right to continue her marriage to Chris, the also-ran in this love triangle.

I just don't see how that's very realistic. I just want to tell them, "Be with your soulmate, girls!" and then sigh...

• Members

JER, I am not a woman so cannot know first hand, but I do have some friends who had tremendous trouble conceiving a child. It almost ruined their marriage. The woman wanted a child of her own so bad that it almost became an obsession for her. Even after they adopted and were lucky to get a new born, she still had that longing in her for a child of her own. She loved the child and she still does to this day.

They went through all the fertility testing, he changed the type of underwear he wore, they took temperatures, made love more often, then less often, took shots - it was a whirlwind of different things for years for them. It all started back up 2 years after they adopted. Finally she came to terms after counseling that if they were to stay together they could not have a child together. The problem was that due to some child hood illness he had he was not sterile but just had less mobile sperm than some men.

A year after that she got pregnant.

So I can understand Carrie's need for a child. I don't think JER has anything wrong with this story. For some women that urge is there. They want to be a mother, and they want to have one from their own body. And I think for some women that desire could even overrule a true love.

• Members

I see.

But isn't it inevitable that she would, after having the child of her own, getting that out of her system, cheat on Lucas and long for Austin?

You make a good point but in the long run, for Carrie, I don't see how being with the also-ran is practical.

• Members

I can't for the life of me understand how Carrie can listen to Lucas' rantings and not laugh in his face!! :D When he proposed in the church at Marlena's wedding I just couldn't help myself from laughing out loud. And the fact that Carrie wants to have a child is fine.....but why Lucas? I mean that's just weird. I love Sami with Lucas....they could rule Salem and we'd have fun watching :P

Archived