2020 Tokyo Olympics

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Sunisa Lee on uneven parallel bars, balance beam, and floor excercise.  This youtube doesn't show her on vault; but it has all the rest of her performances for the *team* final.

Looking forward to watching her in the *individual* all-around.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

^ This is a Q&A video, just keep watching to see more still screens with more questions and answers.
She explains it really well.

Someone asked Simone why didn't they put an alternate into the team competition when she dropped out? She said it wasn't allowed per the rules. And she said the alternates had already been sent home.  Something about had to be done earlier in Olympics, qualifying rounds, etc, which I didn't follow, but she gave enough info for me to look it up.  And I found it here:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/simone-biles-gymnastics-replacement-drop-out/

"An injured or sick gymnast can be replaced no less than 24 hours before the start of the qualifications. That is when an alternate can be brought in, according to the international federation's rule book. 

However, a gymnast who needs to be replaced after qualification – for final events – can only be replaced with another qualifying gymnast. Therefore, none of the alternates can replace Biles, because they did not participate in the qualifying events. Only her current teammates who qualified can replace her."

• Members

The true named alternates were sent home, but the two individually named athletes (Jade Carey, Mykayla Skinner) were still in Tokyo.  It seems an athlete could be replaced after QF if there was a positive covid test or something happened by an individual athlete, not alternate, but since Simone started the competition and pulled out after the first event no one could replace her.  I am not disparaging Simone for that, just trying to clarify because I am a pretty big gymnastics fan.

Anyhow, that's how Jade replaced Simone in the AA (she was the 3rd US qualifier) and Mykayla will replace Simone in the vault finals if Simone withdraws.  If Simone withdraws from bars, beam, and floor event finals the next athlete in line will replace because no one in the US is eligible. 

• Members

USA Men's Basketball gets Spain in the Quarterfinals and either Australia or Argentina in the Semifinals. The other half of the bracket is France/Italy and Slovenia/Germany. I'm thinking the Gold Medal Game will be USA/Slovenia and the Bronze Medal Game will be Australia/France.

• Members

A Belarusian female sprinter attempted to defect yesterday at one of Tokyo's airports after her coaches tried to force her on a plane. She eventually sought asylum at the Polish embassy in Tokyo while her husband fled to the Ukraine.

In the Ukraine today, the Belarusian dissident who may have helped her and her husband was found murdered in a park. 

Please register in order to view this content

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/03/belarus-exile-group-leader-vitaly-shishov-missing-in-kyiv-police-say