Days: February 2021 Discussion Thread

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

If Laura is dead, my biggest issue is that this is a character that has been around since 1966. With the various actresses that have played her (including JLB) she has had endless iconic moments. She’s also directly connected to the show and in her current stint proved she’s just as useful to regularly appear as Maggie or Julie. If she does die you KNOW she won’t get a proper send off so it feels like robbing fans of the chance to say a proper goodbye. 

On the flip side, long term soaps have a bad habit of taking well liked villains too far and still keeping them on. Just like an Adam Newman of Ben Weston (or Kristin) we are going to watch Laura’s death be justified and overlooked so they can justify keeping Gwen around. That is the part I hate the most! I actually enjoy Gwen and her classic soap schemes, but this takes it too far and makes me no longer want to see the eventual reconciliation with her family. 

• Members

I guess Gwen will be Days’ Adam Newman for the Horton/Deverauxs, as I have no idea how the family is ever supposed to accept her after everything’s shes already done and now killing Laura. Who am I kidding this is the same show where serial killer Ben is the town hero. 

This is RC’s MO though. Bring back a classic character and then permanently kill them off for literally no reason.

Edited by Antoyne

• Members

Not that I'm defending this decision--it's a terrible misjudgment--but I feel like Laura's character assassination happened a long time ago, sometime around the late 1970s after Susan Flannery vacated the role and they had Laura go crazy, becoming the "bad psychologist" to Marlena's "good psychologist." 

• Members

That is true, to some extent. Back then, the writers, producers, execs., etc. were so obsessed with new characters and younger characters on all soaps that a lot of veteran characters were shamelessly tossed aside. But it had been established all through the 1970s that mental illness ran in Laura's family and her greatest fear was that she was going to become mentally ill herself. So I can see why the writers at the time delved into that for Laura. After reading through all the synopses, I'll always believe that there was story left for Bill and Laura, especially if she gotten out of the hospital.

But you're right, there was absolutely no need for this now. Nobody in the soap universe is demanding for younger characters and for the veteran ones to be sent off. Hopefully, the backlash from this will wake somebody up

• Members

Or maybe we'll learn that JLB's Laura was all along an imposter who was locked away in the mental hospital with the real Laura Horton and stole her identity. Paving the way for the real Laura to return, played by Susan Flannery as a no-nonsense, out-and-proud lesbian who wants nothing to do with the Horton clan.