Crypto-gays and same-sex couplings that should have happened

• Members

We’ve all heard about same-sex romances that were proposed or rumored and nixed/never came to fruition (Olivia/Holly on GL, Rex/Seth on OLTL). And there’s an interesting chat in the ATWT Cancelled Soaps thread about how many of Doug Marland’s male characters felt like repressed gay men. 

We all know daytime has been afraid to go there for most of its history, but which soap characters do you feel were written as crypto-gay/bi/lesbian? And which same-sex actors do you feel shared sexual chemistry enough for you to say, “Hmmm, wouldn’t it be interesting if they went there?”

Certainly, Will/E.J. and Will/Chad (back in the Casey Deidrick days) on DAYS had their share of supporters due to chemistry between the actors.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

No question for me Rick and Phillip from Guiding Light. The chemistry between Michael O'Leary and Grant Alekander was simply amazing. One of their biggest storylines involved Philip sleeping with Rick's then wife Meredith. The amazing thing about that storyline was not whether or not Rick would reunite with Meredith - she almost became a nonentity in that storyline - but how Rick would forgive Philip.  Rick and Phillip break up scene was so emotionally played by the two actors you would have thought it was to lovers breaking up instead of just two best friends. And that's just one example of the amazing way in which O'Leary and Alekander skillfully play it off of one another. They truly were one of Guiding Lights greatest super couples.

• Members

Weird, I just reading some old synopsis and discussion about that era of Days in the fall of 09 and spring of 2010 when Days actually was decent again and still had a lot going for it. Chad and Will should have hooked  up. It made me sad on how much potential was squandered at the time. 

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

Back watching one of the Y&R re-airs, I thought there was weird sexual tension between Roscoe Born and Christian LeBlanc in their initial meeting scene as Tom/Michael. RB’s staring CLB down seemed more like eye-f***** than an intimidation tactic.

Oh and I once thought OLTL was playing up some kind of repressed longing between Jennifer Bransford’s Georgie and Sandra P. Grant’s Rachel.

Edited by Faulkner