Actors Who Were Good On One Soap And Stunk On Another

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I guess this is the reverse since he stunk up (and still is stinking up) the show he was originally on but for some reason Steve Burton was the first person to come to mind. I think he's absolutely horrendous on GH but on Y&R, even though the character was a disaster, he was surprisingly good playing a good, moral character. I found Dylan losing Christian and then exiting the show not long after to be very effective largely due to his acting.

Another reversal, Cadie McClain was great as Dixie in her first two runs, then she did ATWT and positively soared. She just killed it as Rosanna. Then she came back to AMC and very VERY clearly did not want to be there, her acting became a real drag and mannered. 

• Members

I'd have to say Marcy Rylan and Jeff Branson their time on GL must have just been a real flash in the pan as they were awful on Y&R. Then again, so were a lot of actors picked up from cancelled soaps that ended up being terribly miscast on Y&R from 2009-2012 as they didn't fit in. Let's not even talk about Stephen Nichols or Maura West. Speaking of Cady McClain, I loved her as Roseanna but her as recast Kelly on Y&R was horrible, especially after the work Watros had put into the character. 

Robert Kelker-Kelly is another one that comes to mind for his second AW stint. And I loved Ameila Marshall on GL but she was especially really awful on Passions, even for Passions standards from what I saw. 

Was Brian Gaskill ever any good at any soap? I never knew why he was a hot commodity for CBS in the mid-00's. 

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

It’s funny. Claudia was pretty poorly written too, but she somehow made that work IMO. It just happened to also be on GH.

I’d also say Beth Ehlers, but by the time she did AMC, she had also become nearly unwatchable as Harley on GL.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Probably both.  And she wasn't given great material, but she certainly didn't rise above it.  I would have bet she would have been a star after GH, and I know there were personal factors that she had to deal with.  But she was never as good as she was as Carly.  I do think she was okay as Claudia on GH.

• Members

I think she was just given awful material everywhere else. I never found myself thinking Sarah was the issue. She was always very engaged and alive to me, but they wrote her characters so poorly. I loved Claudia until they had her fall for Sonny’s peen as they did any female not named Faith.

I honestly didn’t hate Dylan. I know the retcon was pretty stupid along with Sharon dating yet another member of Nick and Nikki’s family, but Burton did a nice job not playing Jason 2.0. It was sad that he decided he’d rather get paid to not emote and not grow so he could go back to GH.