Soap Opera Digest Best & Worst for 2000

• Members

Interestingly enough SOD broke up their Best & Worst list into Parts I & II, however this is the full listing from both parts in its entirety. These are SOD's picks for 2000, enjoy!

Best Daytime Couple - Sonny and Carly (GH)
Most Boring Couple - Nina and Tomas (Y&R)
Most Tortured Couple - Sheridan and Luis (Passions)
Best Triangle - Kevin/Kelly/Joey (OLTL)

Worst Triangle - Ben/Denise/Andy (ATWT)
Most Shocking Plot Twist - Thorne & Macy Elope (B&B)

Best Secret - Bianca's A Lesbian (AMC)
Worst Secret - Eliot Killed Laura (AMC)

Best New Male Character - Henry (ATWT)
Best New Female Character - Alison (PC)

Best Female Return - Phyllis (Y&R)
Best Male Return - Dimitri (AMC)

Best Wedding - Hayley and Mateo (AMC)
Worst Wedding - Scott and Lucy (PC)

Most Realistic Teen - Susan (GL)

Most Unrealistic Teen- Teens in Harmony (Passions)
Most Realistic Family - Nick, Sharon, Cassie & Noah (Y&R)
Dumbest Male Character - Ridge (B&B)
Dumbest Female Character - Gwen (Passions)
Best Recast - Hunt Block as Craig (ATWT)
Worst Recast -  J.Eddie Peck as Jake (All My Children)
Best Vixen - Nicole (Days)
Best Villain - Edmund (GL)
Best Psycho - Julie (PC)
Most Annoying Character - May (GL)

Best Teen Couple - Philip and Chloe (DayS)
Best New Couple - Leo and Greenlee (AMC)

Best Breakup - Rick and Abby (Guiding Light)
Best Tearjerker - Macy's Death (B&B)

Most Exciting Couple - John & Marlena (Days)
Best Friends - Roy and Luke (GH)

Worst Friends - Morgan and Taylor (B&B)
Best Trend - Soaps Mining Their Histories

Worst Trend - When Bad Exits Happen To Popular Actors
Best Gimmick - Internet/Soap Merging

Best Fantasy - Nora's Trial (OLTL)
Most Rejuvenated Characters - Abe & Lexie (Days)

Most Ruined Character - Stefan (GH)
Most Entertaining Character - Julian (Passions)

Biggest Waste Of Talent - Roger Howarth (OLTL)

Most Improved Show - Days Of Our Lives
Most Disappointing Show - One Life To Live
Best Show - As The World Turns

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I loved Y&R in early 2000s... 

But I always thought Nina and Tomas Del Cerro were very boring. So I agree on this. 

Were Sheridan and Luis really that tortured by 2000? I mean, were they even a couple before 2000? And then didn't the only thing that happened to them Sheridan being buried alive? Because after 2000, with Sheridan "dying" and meeting Antonio and crazy Beth, sure, they were tortured a lot. But in their first year of the show? I don't think so..

Bianca is gay storyline was huge back then.. I remember reading the boards back then, even though I did not watch AMC back then. But it was huge.

I loved when Michelle Stafford returned to Y&R that year. LOVED IT! And I didn't even watch her first stint. I loved her friendship chemistry with Shermar Moore's Malcolm and Christian LeBlanc's Michael.. It was so fun to see such male/female friendship exist on a soap. I adore Jack and Phyllis and just thought Stafford was a great actress. I did get tired of Phyllis later on when she became Saint Phyllis and a heroine of the show. 

Teen scene in Harmony was horrible! haha Most of them were such bad actors. I did love two of the actresses that played Kay (Taylor Anne M. and Deanna W.) But Miguel and Charity were just baaad... and their storylines... horrible. Hell in the closet... that was in 2000, I think? Or maybe 2001?

Nick and Sharon and their family was my favorite family indeed. I loved to watch them. I loved Nick and Sharon in general and am very sad at what has happened to Sharon through the years. One of the reasons why I stopped watching the show. Not that I could not accept their divorce, but just that the way Sharon's character went after Cassie's death was just wrong and Sharon was completely destroyed in the next few years. 

Best teen couple - Phloe! I will never understand how these characters did not take over the lead on this show. They have built them up so nicely, the whole teen scene (even thought back in 2000/2001/2002, I remember people on the boards hated the teen scene, them taking over the airtime from the vets etc.. I loved that teen scene and in particular Phloe). Just amazing that they just let these characters leave and become an occasional guest on the show.. (Okay, I am aware that Chloe and Philip both had some stories throughout the years and it was more Shelle that was sent to HK and forgotten, but still,..) 

Abe and Lexie getting most rejuvenated couple... now, this was the time of the baby switch starting in 2000, right? Marlo died and Rolf switched the babies... and that is one of my all time favorite storylines. But I would say that this storyline rejuvenated Lexie more so than Abe. I mean, sure there was a bit of a change in their dynamic because Lexie was turning on the dark side under Stefano's influence wanting to keep her baby, but I still don't think this was the most rejuvenated couple.

Thanks for sharing the list! 

• Members

Just a random thought, but I feel as if the only reason Shawn/Belle/Philip/Chloe didn't take over the reigns of the show is because very little focus was given to them as individuals and giving their characters a drive of sorts. Compare that to John/Marlena/Bo/Hope, where you've had numerous storylines dealing with John's connections to the ISA, the show has written stories surrounding Marlena's career as a shrink, Bo and Hope both had stories while working for the Salem PD. Shawn/Belle/Philip/Chloe pale in comparison. Belle seemingly became a lawyer offscreen. Philip had potential to butt heads with the Kiriakis family over the company, but it's been very inconsistent or damn near nonexistent. I'm almost positive that Chloe and Shawn have been treated worse compared to the other two. It's a shame because I think the four all had great potential as far back as JKJ's departure as Philip in 2011.

Edited by MichaelGL

• Members

I agree with you, @MichaelGL but I think that could have still been corrected 10 years ago. They could have built them up instead of shipping everyone out of Salem.

Also, in my opinion, it did not help that they aged them quite quickly. It felt like to me that they went from college to being like 30 very quickly. 

All in all, shame that it happened like that...  

• Members

Absolutely.   They could have built them up and they went from Last Blast teens to marriage and babies very quick.

I do think I like Belle and Shawn mostly because of who their parents are.  You want to love John/Marlena's only child or Bo/Hope's son.  I don't think I like them on their own merits and that's a shame because I think MM and BB are fairly capable performers and JkJ and NB are really good.