Ratings From the 90's

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

And it looks kinda sudden, too!  You see DAYS' ratings improving one week, then kind of retreating a bit the second week, then another little bump in the third, and then - BAM! - it's number-two!

• Members

... and the finale of the Possession, along with the Carrie/Austin botched wedding by Sami, Peter Reckell's return, etc. puts DAYS nicely at No. 2 for the whole four-week stretch. 

It's because this is exactly when I started watching DAYS and we were a Nielsen family. 

J/K

• Members

I think Days remains 2nd for the better part of the next two years. As we all know, the closest Days got to beating Y&R was June 23-27, 1997 and all of Reilly big storylines culminated in Summer 1997.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Yes, it's mainly DAYS and B&B (with 1 or 2 weeks of AMC inching up there) battling it for No. 2 from August '95 through February '96 when DAYS begins its streak that doesn't end until December '97. 

I remember the most random things, lol. 

Edited by Gray Bunny

• Members

A friend has just put me on to a new resource, the Archive of the magazine BROADCASTING & CABLE. Each issue has Nielsen ratings so in that way it could supplement this information. Of course, most of each issue is articles. It begins with 1931 and goes through 2023. I'm using PDF-XChange to search for keywords, searching many issues at one time. I'm sure other PDF apps could do the same. It begins with only radio, of course, but soon includes all of TV. 

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-BC/

Offered just as FYI. 

• Members
The rest of 1995 is now in! The November 1995 non-soaps chart above has been updated with that data.

I see in October 1995 that CBS had a YR preemption but also a primetime special a few weeks later, so they aired 2 episodes in one day (one in the Price slot from 11AM-12PM), so that they would stay on target with the storylines. The same thing happened to Days a year earlier in 1994, but NBC edited two daytime episodes into one episode to keep the storylines on track. So, with YR, CBS went a different way and fans got to see both of the episodes in their entirety.

FROM THE VAULT: WEEKLY DAYTIME NIELSEN RATINGS: WEEKS OF 8/14/95-8/18/95 & 8/21/95-8/25/95:

Please register in order to view this content

FROM THE VAULT: WEEKLY DAYTIME NIELSEN RATINGS: WEEKS OF 8/28/95-9/1/95 & 9/4/95-9/8/95:

• Members

Two big moves on the business end in Fall 1995: CBS is sold to Westinghouse and Disney begins the process of purchasing ABC.

On the broadcasting side in Fall 1995, CBS affiliates start moving Guiding Light to the mornings (10 am ET; 9 am Central, Mountain, Pacific).

Edited by kalbir