Soaps In The Time of Crisis

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Honestly, I would plan something gimmicky for the return. If you're gone for this long, you need to let viewers who have tuned out know you're back. I don't expect any soap to attract new viewers, but none of the four are in a position to lose any more viewers. I think something like a primetime episode with a big shocker or reveal followed by a week of live shows in daytime would be a great way to bring back viewers and attract a few curious eyes. Promotion would also be very important and that's why something gimmicky would be an added bonus...nowadays with so many options to choose from, audiences aren't tuning in for any basic return. 

Also, if we do get a second wave in the fall and a third in early 2021, soaps need to maximize filming time when they return later this year so that they have episodes in the bank if production get shut down again. Writers should be planning stories and working out a way to maximize filming so that little time is wasted.

• Members

Another hidden benefit of rebooting the shows is that it would help the shows get sold internationally again.

What prevents international channels from buying these shows is that it's so hard to get into the shows while they're running. If you reboot them (not denying their history but just packaging a new beginning), it would make them more palatable for international markets and maybe streaming platforms.

• Members

I know Latin American telenovelas sell really well throughout the world. I wonder if markets would still be interested in soap operas considering there's no set number of episodes or a determined end. Brazilian telenovelas which typically run for more episodes than other Latin American telenovelas, edit their episodes and repackage for international markets so that their telenovelas which are sometimes 200+ episodes would be be packaged in shorter runs for other markets. Although, it's been sometime since a Brazilian telenovela had 200+ episodes, even when they're under they still edit to shorter episode packages. There were instances were due to popularity some telenovelas would extend beyond 300 episodes, but due to costs and strong competition that is no longer the case but length and episodes are determined by popularity something that is not easily adjusted with a soap opera. Mexican telenovelas have done really well in other markets since the 80s and I believe newer ones are even available on streaming platforms. Soap operas are a very unique format due to so much history and an undetermined run which makes it difficult to package or promote on streaming services for new audiences.

I'm really curious if a reboot would help make these soap operas more appealing to outside markets. However, soap operas look so cheap nowadays especially compared to these big budget telenovelas with almost cinematic introductory episodes. Also, there needs to be a crash course almost to introduce audiences to everything and everyone. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Here's what's been happening on your favorite soaps since the stay at home orders:

Y&R: Newman Enterprises refused to shut down causing uproar from employees and residents. In fact, Crimson Lights has been so empty these days, because they're practicing social distancing protocols, one customer or family at a time. Ashley brings Victor a hazmat suit to keep him safe. Jabot launches a new line of disinfectant perfumes. 

BB: The latest collections were put on hold, but to prevent having to let employees go, Forrestor Creations has its workers sewing masks from the fabrics. Quinn suggests they have a virtual fashion show with the masks causing a huge sensation. They have orders from around the world. Wyatt catches Sally and the nurse dragging Flo, but they convince him whe was exhibiting symptoms of Covid-19 and when she received the results from the nurse passed out under stress. Flo wakes up but has amnesia. Meanwhile, Sally begins to panic saying that her condition is now more dire because she came into contact with Flo who was infected. Wyatt proposes to Sally and Wyatt decides they should get married right away as Sally's last wishes. They decide to have their wedding on Zoom with everyone on call even Flo who still has not regained her memory. As Carter officiates the wedding, something triggers Flo's memory and she starts to reveal the truth but the nurse who is hosting the Zoom call quickly intercepts and mutes Flo and then kicks her out of the meet.

Days: As the residents become aware of the spreading virus, they retreat to Melaswem to keep safe. John and Marlena discover that Stefano was actually seeking revenge on the residents of Salem in a plot that goes wrong.

GH: As mayor of Port Charles, Laura purchased masks for all residents from Forrestor Creations. Although, Cuomo's shutdown has eased the burden on General Hospital, they still see an influx of cases. The hospital is overwhelmed with patients causing several past residents to return and help the struggling hospital. Luke returns to inform Laura that the Cassadines are on the remote island of Melaswen and are attempting to hold the world ransom with the vaccine for the virus with DiMera. 

Edited by GLATWT88

• Members

Ha, that's generous but thanks. I was bored and inspired by someone's post and started typing these up in a few minutes actually. I don't have much to do as these stay at home orders are still pretty strict here. 

Edited by GLATWT88