2020: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

This was definitely surprising to see. He’s been there for so long and Ron’s breakdown writing team has been stable.  Wonder what happened. And it’s Katherine, not Kathryn.  

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Pitch ideas to the head writer. If he/she listens is totally up in the air...

sometimes its also about salary. Patrick Mulcahey was script writer on B&B and had the story consultant title simultaneously for most of his tenure. Very few of his ideas were ever used by Brad Bell, but Mulcahey always got a nice paycheck.

• Members

Interesting. Y&R has quite an interesting relationship was its consultants. Daran Little was Mal Young’s Story Consultant, and left as soon as the changes happened last year. Story Consultants are less likely than the next role to lead to taking a main job.

Now, if she was brought in Executive Consultant, it would be more likely she was being prepared for when Griffith left, as has almost always been the case in the past.

Edited by LondonScribe

• Members

As others have said it's more like a surrogate HW or mentor, but the actual HW doesn't have to use their material if they don't want. From what past writers (like Harding Lemay) have said, it's very common (and not always credited) and pays very well. Harding mentioned working on the PGP soaps in the 90s in his book, maybe an ABC soap as well I don't recall. But basically he was paid very well and none of his ideas were ever used. 

Like @BetterForgotten said, I'd like to hope they're bringing her in with a purpose. We know for a fact CBS was troubled by the direction of the show. Plus Ambitions was great and she was a huge part of that. If her ideas are strong I'd like to hope she could slide in the HW slot. 

• Members

If Dansby becomes HW, then I think it's fair to suggest CBS/Sony might be feeling real pressure and you might be able to open the door of possibility re: Rowell. Dansby's name has been on the lips of every public or private figure discussing Black representation on Y&R for the better part of a decade, and her name always was preceded by discussion of VR. But I'll believe either when I see 'em.

Edited by Vee

• Members

By forcing a credited consultant on him, they’re basically admitting that Griffith sucks, but they don’t have another recycled hack lined-up just yet to replace him with.

I know damn well Griffith didn’t go out of his way to hire her himself. He probably won’t listen to any of her ideas unless Sony/CBS force him to - which is likely, but the execution will be the same boring trash he’s known for.

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

As I said before, after the string of hacks they've hired (and repeatedly re-hire like Griffith), what do they have to lose by giving a daytime veteran who hasn't been a HW before a chance? It's not like Dansby has been away from the industry (so she's familiar with the grind and budgetary restrictions) or is known to be a difficult personality. I'd fire Griffith's ass right now and give her a chance just to see what happens. 

Anthony Morina and his uninspired production is another issue that needs to be dealt with. 

Edited by BetterForgotten