Y&R: Casts New Minor Female Role

• Members

According to SOD, the role of Zoey has been cast:

https://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/yr-casts-new-role-6/

Zoey will be tied to Kyle. There was a script floating around that had Theo bringing Zoe to some type of event. Him and Kyle will clash with Theo bringing her around. Phyllis will also inquire about her. Zoe is someone from Kyle's wild past in NY.

Edited by xtr

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The only wild past Kyle and Theo should share is a romp in the sack from their time in New York

Please register in order to view this content

Any UK soap would have gone there. US soaps are so hesitant to do anything remotely interesting.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

it's more than just the writing it's the music, too, imo. Whenever they play that stupid twang for Kyle/Lola I roll my eyes. And the "villain" music B&B plays for Thomas isn't it either. And if I hear that Metro Court song on GH one more damn time... 

I know they can't afford real music with the tiny budgets but like why do they need music for every scene? It's like damn. 

• Members

Music can enhance a scene (or if used incorrectly, can distract) but the writing is #1. There have been times when writing, dialogue and the action of the scene have been so compelling that I didn't even notice cheap sets or music cues.  It's only upon revisiting episodes that I will notice those things but terrible dialogue, stiff, wooden acting-- those things are inescapably noticeable to me. 

That B&B scene with Ronn Moss that everybody mocks...it's the memory of the cheesy dialogue and the poor delivery that is embedded in my mind, I have no recollection of what music, if any was used in that scene.

OTOH, there was a great scene on ATWT where I went back to watch on YouTube, the performances and dialogue were so crisp, so sharp and compelling, it was only when I went and observed the scene a second (more like third) time on YouTube that I noticed how cheap the sets were (someone banged on a door and the entire wall literally shook!), yet I still appreciated how good the dialogue and delivery of it was, and how well it held up over decades.  

I can overlook cheap sets and usually (not always, I admit) tune out the music cues but I cannot get past poorly written dialogue that is delivered poorly-- bad writing is inexcusable to me. Throw it all away!

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

idk, I personally feel music can be far more powerful than writing. A scene without any dialogue but the right music can be can transform a scene into something truly  unforgettable.

i don't remember much about LotR, tbh, but this scene is burned into my memory. 

and this SKAM scene would be so forgettable otherwise. 

music is a powerful tool, which soaps used to treat it as such but with slashed budgets it's all so cheap and forgettable/annoying. 

Edited by dio

• Members

^^Oh no, bb...without the writing what are you going to do?!  What do you have...Noh, Kabuki?  For obvious reasons, yes I may be a bit biased but "it" has to be there on the page first.  The music comes afterward as a flourish. 

I think the factory, conveyor-belt style in which soaps are produced give a very misleading impression of the writing being the least of, which is probably why these shows are in such a poor position now-- lack of investment in decent scriptwriting.