American Express Suing Kristoff St. John’s Estate Over Unpaid Credit Bill

Errol

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So his net value was approx. $122,000 and now $33,000 of it will go to AMEX?  Feels so sad.  No will so Kristoff's dad and daughter dispute who is authorized to be executor of the estate?  Feels so unfortunate.  This makes me wonder what is the state of these familial relationships?

• Members

AMEX in particular, is known to be very hard-hearted with their members.  I got rid of my AMEX because I decided I didn't want to risk ever fall into a tight spot with them, given their reputation for harshness.  KSJ didn't appear to be living any type of extravagant lifestyle, so perhaps his soap salary had dwindled over the years, along with his appearances?  Was he recurring?

• Members

I agree. I don't have AMEX either. I mean, a part of me "gets it". Regardless, the money is owed, but at the same time ... lawd ... just write it off.

It's very easy to spend a lot of money without even realizing it. Even food isn't cheap ... 

Lots of good questions. I don't know. I feel so bad for him. The nicest guy to everyone and he was basically alone and shoved off the show he spent decades on. Makes me sick. My heart still hurts.

• Members

Which is why the tweets from Angelica McDaniel strike me as particularly disingenuous.  We all know the character was written poorly and then marginalized and shunted from the screen over the last few years.  Not only are TIIC ignoring this but they are going to spin it to try to get a ratings bump.  They tried this same tactic when killing off Hilary but sadly, this is a real-life tragedy.

I plan to watch online out of respect for KSJ but I really have no respect for Y&R/Sony at this point. I barely have any respect left for CBS, I mean, look how long they let that snake Leslie Moonves stay there.

As for AMEX, they are a multi-billion dollar company. $33,000 would be a blip on their radar.  I know that they probably don't want to set precedent of just writing off debt but this was a totally unforeseeable event. Cut it down to a minimum balance...something

Or maybe Sony could offer to pay it off, if they cared as much for KSJ as they claim, here's a good opportunity to put their money where their lying mouths are.

• Members

American Express don't play. They're known to be hard up.

I guess that is how they fund that amazing 6% cash back at the grocery store.

I'm sure KSJ had hundreds of thousands if not millions in life insurance thru SAG-AFTRA.

• Members

Exactly. Anjelica comes off as fake (like you said, and it's accurate). She's been a detriment to CBS daytime. I'm not sure what she's done that's actually benefited daytime. The Talk is a mess and losing hosts left and right now (not really her fault, but she's in charge of daytime). Let's Make a Deal has zero buzz and is just existing to give Wayne Brady a job (but hey, they're saving by not paying for 30 actors on a daytime drama). 

The way they treated Kristoff makes me sick to my stomach.

And agreed on AMEX. I agree completely. And yes, Sony or CBS should pay it off. 

I think Anjelica knows she was wrong and I think she went into hiding for a while because of her mistakes. And now she's tweeting as if she cares. She doesn't. If she cared her behavior would have spoken volumes -- and it did.

I never liked Les Moonves. I'm not at all surprised he was a perverted sexual predator who used his power to blacklist women and threaten their careers. I always thought he married Julie because she was submissive to him. I mean, sure, someone can change. But at his core, that's who he is.

• Members

I know credit card companies have to collect, but this just seems heartless. It's even sadder that there is division between the family over a fairly small amount of money. The minimum that a soap actor can make per union rules is $2500 an episode so if Kristoff wasn't on much he wouldn't have had too much money in the bank when you consider he lived in expensive California.

• Members

Sorry to seem  hard hearted about this, but Kristoff had been in employment for over 20 years on the show and in that time should have amassed a good deal of money.

If all that was left is $122,000 then there has been some poor decisions made over time.

I don''t believe CBS/Sony or anyone else should be responsible for his financial decisions.

Judging by the dispute with the family and the will, there seems to be some issues there.

• Members

I concur. Kristoff's untimely passing doesn't excuse his estate from paying its debts.

And the $122,000.00 value is only what is subject to probate. There's no way to confirm what his actual net worth was at the time of his death because jointly owned assets, jointly owned bank accounts, life insurance policies, IRAs, 401ks, can all have designated beneficiaries which means the assets don't get disclosed in the probate process. And if he had a trust established, any assets owned by the trust would also not be disclosed. 

That Kristoff didn't have a will is surprising given how long he enjoyed a successful career but it is an unfortunate reality that many people ignore estate planning and this kind of dispute erupts. 

• Members

He had three children and judging from how people have spoken highly of him I have to imagine he provided his family. Money doesn't go as far as you think it would even for actors and that's why some soap actors end up doing TV movies even when they are working on a soap. I wouldn't be so quick to judge anyone's finances.

• Members

Well I am only going on what has been revealed. As others have stated there might be more money in other funds. Hopefully.

Yes he had 3 children and should provide for them - that is part of being a parent.

Soap actors earned fairly good money back in the day but unfortunately some people are not financially responsible, no matter what their income. Not saying this is true of Kristoff.

Acting is a precarious occupation and the saying 'Make hay while the sun shines' definitely holds true here.

As a fan of actors from the'Golden Age' its always interesting to read who prospered after their career wound down due to canny investing and  about those who were practically destitute due to unwise spending.

• Members

Not to make this political but talk to me on a day when the current president of the U.S. hasn't left behind a trail of unpaid debts (hundreds of millions of dollars).  Who has had to pay for his unpaid debts? 

The way Y&R is promoting the hell out of these special episodes, I'm sure the executives are right now negotiating a bump in advertising dollars.  So how much $$$ will Y&R gain from advertisers from KSJ's death episodes?  More than $33,000-- that should about do it.

Can we not pretend that these tribute episodes are being done for purely altruistic reasons? Let's check whether there is a ratings bump for Y&R for these special episodes in the next few weeks and how much that is worth ($33,000 or more?).

Archived