Y&R: RIP Kristoff St John

• Members

My issue was never with KSJ, but it lied solely with the character and the writing. The breaking point was with Neil/Hillary/Devon in which Neil's character was completely destroyed (hard to believe after the Carmen Mesta mess, I'm still upset over that story and how it painted both Neil and Dru). Later on when the show tried to backtrack and make Neil morally superior to Hillary when she and Devon were having problems, the damage was apparent as viewers couldn't take such scenes seriously. 

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I never cared for Neil or KSJ without Dru and I have no challenges copping to that.  I'm allowed and can't anticipate a tragedy to change my feelings.  

That said, I can hate a character, dislike the actor but still feel terrible that he suffered and didn't make it.  

Super happy we got that out of the way.  

Back on topic.  I won't be watching to see KSJ's last eppy because it was not filmed in anticipation of his death.  It was a send off because they are fazing out the black people!  

• Members

I don't know what the story was or for whom. I only pointed it out to validate VRs interview since she's often times castigated for speaking out. 

I'm not sure I believe characters aren't allowed to pitch stories for their own character. VR pitched Devon's foster care story and got it. 

• Members

CK is not some piss poor actress who doesn't know where she is on a set. She's capable of far more than playing some sex kitten.  Regardless of her talent or lack there of, she has still been held back. Let's not pretend otherwise. 

VR never said KSJ wanted to write for his own character. She said he was repeatedly denied stories he pitched for his character. Tank said KSJ pitched him to the show. Where is writing for character coming from? 

• Members

In some ways it was worse, considering the relatively brief time vs. the lasting damage the characterization and storyline did. 

Marshall Traver was the first black man in ATWT's history who was allowed to show unbridled sexuality.  As much as I loved Detective Roy Franklin, the show made him lose Jessica's affections to Duncan McKechnie (a character who was allowed to be ultra-masculine, highly sexual, wild, mysterious and yes, a bit dangerous)  and people kept complaining about how boring they thought safe Ben Harris was and similar to Neil/KSJ, many began to equate this somehow with the fault of the actor, rather than the writing.

Making Marshall a rapist sent a very clear message that not only was it dangerous to show that type of open sexuality in a black man but, if it involved a highly educated, refined and savvy black man--that type of unrestrained sexuality was downright criminal and had to be met with the ultimate form of punishment.  You never had another black character on the show with that type of agency for the rest of the show's run.  The damage was irreversible.

• Members

I wonder if he suggested Tank as a Malcolm recast.

Daytime has a long history of emasculating/cuckolding or vilifying black men. Little room for in between. They did the same with RJ on OLTL when Evangeline went to John. (And RJ had served the baddie role to Hank’s good guy earlier on.) So interesting how the writing for certain groups always follows the same patterns.

• Members

I adored Gentleman Ben, which was the nickname we, me and my friend, gave him. But it can't be disputed that the writing for him cast him in the same boring bland role that viewers subscribed to Neil. 

I agree with what you're saying with respect to Marshall because I was angry enough to drop ATWT for a while after. But, I was younger then so less in tune with BTS drama and less aware of the subtle and not so subtle  ways in which these shows marginalize Black folks. Maybe that's why I don't feel it was quite on the same level as with MiMs Hilary. 

Edited by ajsp35801