The Media/Journalism Thread

• Members

I've been on Twitter a lot recently, and as far as *I* can tell, there's been tremendous pushback to the idea of there being a "crisis" at the border; just as there has been pushback to the ridiculous "Why hasn't Biden held a (solo) press conference yet?" noise; just as there has been pushback to the "cancel culture"-related issues (i.e., Potato Head, Dr. Seuss) that the GOP has tried to drum up.  If the majority of Twitter users are concerned about anything, it's that we still have right-wingers (including state governors and other politicians) who refuse to adhere to CDC protocols regarding COVID or accept any vaccines, thereby jeopardizing our chances of finally getting past the pandemic.

Edited by Khan

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I do want to believe these media games won't be effective, but I feel like they were very effective in Congressional and state races last year on the various gotcha topics (defund the police, immigration, the right wing framing of the stimulus). Maybe that will change. 

Some of those replies on the Milo tweet praising him for his grift remind me of just how many people have always been willing to shrug off his ugliness because it's more hip and fun to do so. At least they seem to be in the minority. I wonder if he is back to being bankrolled by the Mercers or if this is someone even more heinous. Florida certainly would be willing to go along with his sham - whether he will just cash in or try to find a way to be able to cash in and also hurt young men, I don't even want to think about. I remember the heavy efforts in the '90s to push ex-gay programs. Milo is probably too toxic to be able to get that message out today, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the start of more, with less repulsive faces coming after him.

• Members

This will get walked back and changed by the major press re: the shootings in Atlanta, but it's worth noting in the heat of the moment that too many white editors and segment producers always defer to this language for white mass shooters initially:

• Members

The most dangerous part is their minority vote increasing in 2020 will just convince them further that extremism and bigotry comes with mostly benefits and no real consequences. The strong chance of taking the House will just cement that further. 

• Members

The TJ Ducklo/Alexi McCammond saga reaches its inevitable conclusion. Just a mess, and so poorly handled by Teen Vogue (which has in general become too hyped for its own good these last few years and has twisted itself into knots as a result).

Edited by DRW50