Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
slick jones

Roswell, New Mexico

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, slick jones said:

A terrible take-off of the original, but at least one alien is gay.....

I found it okay enough to give it a second view. I agree that having one of the aliens be gay was a nice twist and addition of diversity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2019 at 10:15 PM, slick jones said:

A terrible take-off of the original, but at least one alien is gay.....

 

To be fair, only the first season of the original show was really good. The second year was still okay and had its moments, but the third and final season was abysmal; really hard to watch. Plus, Shiri Appleby was pretty wooden and expressionless as Liz. (Don't get me wrong. I still love the first incarnation of Roswell, thanks to its great debut season and the hunky Jason Behr as Max, but I have read comments on-line from devoted fans who say it was the greatest thing on earth, and I would have to disagree.)

 

I am wont to loathe reboots, so I watched the first few episodes of R:NM just to complain about it. I think the new Liz is a better actress than the original, as is the new Michael. The new Isobel is channeling Heigl, big time, LOL. I think there is on-screen chemistry between Michael and Alex. Aside from all that, Nathan Parsons looks sweet and vulnerable as Max, but he lacks Jason Behr's intensity. The show is just...more of the same from the CW. I may continue to watch it on a casual basis, just because I enjoy seeing beautiful boys kissing (yes, I am shallow and a 'ho), but I doubt R:NM will go down in history as one of my favorite series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 7:51 PM, vetsoapfan said:

 

To be fair, only the first season of the original show was really good. The second year was still okay and had its moments, but the third and final season was abysmal; really hard to watch. Plus, Shiri Appleby was pretty wooden and expressionless as Liz. (Don't get me wrong. I still love the first incarnation of Roswell, thanks to its great debut season and the hunky Jason Behr as Max, but I have read comments on-line from devoted fans who say it was the greatest thing on earth, and I would have to disagree.)

 

It was really the chemistry of the actors that made Roswell work as a character study, rather than as a show. I don't know many people who watch Roswell who were in love with the plotting and storylines but rather the actors, couples and pairings which made the show work. It had a dedicated fanbase directly because of those actors/character ships. Liz/Max (Dreamers), Maria/Micheal (Candies), and even Isabel/Alex (Stargazers) really were what kept the series afloat. When they started messing with those characters and the relationships, friendships and connections within the series the show pretty much tanked, as a lot of fans felt betrayed in seasons two and three. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Skin said:

 

It was really the chemistry of the actors that made Roswell work as a character study, rather than as a show. I don't know many people who watch Roswell who were in love with the plotting and storylines but rather the actors, couples and pairings which made the show work. It had a dedicated fanbase directly because of those actors/character ships. Liz/Max (Dreamers), Maria/Micheal (Candies), and even Isabel/Alex (Stargazers) really were what kept the series afloat. When they started messing with those characters and the relationships, friendships and connections within the series the show pretty much tanked, as a lot of fans felt betrayed in seasons two and three. 

 

Well said. ITA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well...I happen to like the intrigue that came with the introduction of Tess personally.

 

But I liked most of the sci-fi of Season Two (barring that whole queen hive thing)...but I'll give you season Three which I have finally watched a few months ago does not hold up well at all. Though I will ALWAYS love 'Get Up, Bitca.'

 

That said...I am loving the reboot so far with the intrigue (and I love Amber Midhunter on LEGION) and the floating bodies thing...it's a show you can't just have on in the background. That's for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2019 at 9:59 PM, Taoboi said:

Well...I happen to like the intrigue that came with the introduction of Tess personally.

 

Tess herself, wasn't the problem so much as the way she was utilized as a plot contrivance to bring the show in a different direction. I think had the show gone about bringing her on differently, there wouldn't have been much of a controversy around her addition to the group. She was added to bring strife to the group, and she broke up the set that was mostly formed by the time she got there. Had she been added to the group sooner (and differently) - I think she would have been more accepted.  The fact that she came nearly right at the end of the first season made fans look at Tess as an interloper.

 

There's also a larger metaphor that they don't like the way the show deviated and got worse over time around the time she became apart of the main cast. The larger problem was that the WB didn't know what they wanted Roswell to be, they didn't know if they wanted it to be a romantic teen melodrama like Dawson's Creek/Felicity, or if they wanted it to be a huge arc carrying sci-fi action series like Buffy/Smallville and the network interference caused a lot of issues in the second season. I think the series writers even lamp-shaded this in an episode where they had two of the characters argue which movie was better "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" or "The Matrix". It didn't help that the writers didn't know what they wanted either.

 

If you take a look at Season Two of Roswell, it's all over the place. They went from a secondary alien invasion from a rival species, to Time Travel to Evil Twin Aliens to Alien Possession Parasites to Alien Teen Pregnancy to Alien War on a Remote Planet. A hodgepodge of ideas, none of which had real legs. A lot of people give season three grief, but it was clear that the show was going off the rails as soon as season two. Season three just inherited a lot of bad debt. The writers tried everything they could but the show couldn't stick with anything, and by the end they couldn't bail themselves out of bad story-telling. It's telling that most fans now either ignore those plot points completely or forget they even existed. The Sci-Fi portion of  the show never found the right direction, and never took off. I don't know if it's because they couldn't or they didn't want to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See? I would disagree with that. The interference no. I vaguely remember that going down. I also vaguely remember Jason Katims was more interested in a lot of the romantic teen melodrama than the scifi...which did show and kinda like how Tim Kring was on HEROES if I'm being honest. Regardless of his dislike...I felt Season Two had direction right up until the doppleganger/alien summit in New York episodes.  After that, it went off the rails because the writing had all these ideas with no idea of how to converge it all together in a way that made sense. The war with the Skins did have legs if it had not just been resolved for the most part by episode 7 of that season. 

 

Basically from what I heard...they didn't want to go totally that way re: sci-fi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I adored Roswell up until the introduction of Tess.  I think the Tess character was badly written and introduced, and I think the quality of the show suffered. IT was something out of a soap opera writer's reject pile. I've never been so quickly repelled by a show. I usually start drifting away from a show, but the Tess character just ruined my enjoyment and I never felt the same way about the show. I hated the second season because it felt like it was a completely different show--and one I didn't want to watch. IT also made no sense (and I found it funny when cast members admitted they had no idea what was going on). I barely remember the third season and I think I just dipped in here and there just to see what was going on.

 

The new Roswell has a lot of potential, but it's also plagued by the same problems: too much overplotting and an obsessive need to keep Max and Liz apart. I would find it more interesting to see Max and Liz together but dealing with the problems from that connection. The sci-fi/military angle does not work and it's as boring as all the sci-fi stuff from the original.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...