As The World Turns Full Episode List

• Members

Hi all,

Sorry for my breakdown last month. I have since been indirectly in touch with the person behind the channel that was targeted, and know a bit more about what happened. I am now convinced my list had nothing to do with it. 

As such, I have restored all references to the channel on my list. Even if it is now defunct, its dates still help us piece together the full episode list.

With so many channels popping up, pumping out content and being taken down again, it is getting a bit daunting trying to keep track of any new info for the list, so please feel free to notify me of anything I'm missing out on.

Meanwhile I have been spending time dabbling around the old RATS board, as well as looking through historical newspapers, in preparation for bigger updates for the early 90s years (although that will likely still take some time)

Thanks again for all of your efforts to help out!

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I know I don't venture into this thread much but I do appreciate the efforts that @Brolden has been making to try to document and preserve aspects of this show's history. It's a shame that there are certain forces making those efforts more difficult.

If only, it were P&G creating a channel for their soaps but we know they do not care and it is likely other individuals who want to be one of the few channel(s) on YouTube, not wanting to make space for another channel because that new channel has the audacity to have a few episodes that may have already been posted previously on YouTube.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

@Brolden Forgive me if this is old information. I see from your list on page 4 that you still have September 1 and 5th 1986 as possible preemptions (maybe there was an updated list I am missing). 

I found this NY Times archive of the 1986 US Open schedule, does this confirm the dates for you?

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/08/25/sports/us-open-tv-schedule.html

Monday, Sept. 1: Men's and women's fourth rounds. (CBS, 12:30-6 p.m.; USA 7:30-11 p.m.) 

Friday, Sept. 5: Women's semifinals, men's doubles final. (CBS, 11:00 a.m.-noon, 12:30-5 p.m.) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

Continuing my full list update with 1994. I've made my way from 1989 to 1994 on RATS and have collected several recaps confirming dates that were previously unconfirmed.

I skipped 1995 on purpose... Since that year is included in another (way more massive and altogether unnavigable) RATS group, it'll take me a while to sort through that.

Since July 4 is a holiday in the US, am I correct in saying it makes sense that there was no OJ trial on that day? 

July 5 throws me for a loop. Many people stated it was pre-empted, but at least 1 person claimed to have received the show. However, since the Independence Day ep ended up airing on July 12, it seems the July 5 ep almost had to have been pre-empted. Most likely they pulled a "Belltower" and re-broadcasted the ep on July 11 (although unfortunately I was unable to confirm that).

Post-July 8 it seems there were many regional pre-emptions, but I wasn't able to confirm any national ones.

Edited by Brolden

• 1 month later...
  • Members

@Brolden Thanks for updating. It's interesting to see your project evolving.  Would you mind explaining how to search the TV listing in the Adirondack Daily Enterprise? This would be a helpful resource since most TV listings only give primetime listings, with a generic daytime schedule.

I did want to share (since I don't know where else this would be of interest) a couple of sites that are good for primetime listings. I find them helpful when I have a show with commercials and need to confirm the airdate based on the commercials for primetime and news airing that night or the next night. 

http://www.tvtango.com/listings/2021/02/05 Just change that date using that numbering format and it tells you what aired on CBS that night.  

And here's one that will tell you what aired on the CBS evening news if there's commercials for that: https://tvnews.vanderbilt.edu/siteindex/1984-8 (you can change the month/year). 

• Members

Hi BoldRestless, with pleasure! If you go to https://nyshistoricnewspapers.org, you can browse through all kinds of NY (state) publications, a number of which have TV listings included. It takes a little playing around with to get a feel for it, most likely. What I did is I started by using "As The World Turns" as a search term, and set the date to post-1956 to eliminate irrelevant results. I focused primarily on the eras where I was the closest to making connections in terms of episode numbers, and soon learned how to "read" the way some of these papers publish their listings. I actually have several that I found useful, with ADE being one of the more consistent one throughout many eras (other publications you might look for are 'Press-Republican' and 'The Journal'). If you know which publications you're looking for, you can also find the page for that publication, where you can easily overview all accessible files in a year, for example. 

Needless to say, just because a certain date is listed, that doesn't mean that it aired. In fact, I found several dated listed which I know were pre-empted. The trick is to distinguish between planned pre-emptions (i.e. holidays, sports events) and unplanned ones (due to recent events). But of course I know your not a newbie to tracking soap history, so you are probably aware of that already. Keeping that in mind, this wonderful resource actually provided me with a lot of information, for example for dates I had assumed would have been pre-empted, but found out they actually weren't. 

I hope that helps you in your search! I will certainly check out the links you provided here as well. Let's keep in touch to help each other out!