• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Hi Paul Raven, absolutely!

I've been spending time on the old RATS board collecting recaps in order to be able to narrow down which episodes have certainly aired and which may have been pre-empted, which has been rather time consuming. But please keep leaving any info you find. 

Great find on that 2000th episode!

• 10 months later...
  • Members

Updated.

Sorry I've been too busy to keep up these lists for a while. With the recent appearance of lots of never-before-seen episodes, this list was way overdue an update. A few notes:

- I have kept channels that have disappeared from Youtube on the list. Many of these episodes are still available on different channels, if you search for them. Thus, if you're using this list to find episodes on Youtube, you may have to search past the original channel name.

- On that note, since my last update of this list many channels have been created that contain episodes that were already in circulation. Although I used to list all channels on which an episode was available, that is simply proving to be too much work at the moment. Again, if the list indicates an episode is in circulation, you will likely be able to find it with a simple search.

- If we can verify the August 22 pre-emption, we can connect the episode numbers throughout 1990. If it indeed exists, it would be an unplanned pre-emption, as the August 21 episode still invites viewers to "join us tomorrow". It may be related to "George H W Bush calls up military reserves" (https://www.onthisday.com/date/1990/august/22), but I'd love to see some verification that this indeed pre-empted the show.

If you start counting on April 2, 1956 and count every day, then Nov 29, 1963 would be #2000. This confirms my earlier suspicions that in the early years, both planned and unplanned pre-emptions were given episode numbers. I'd be very curious to find out when they stopped doing this, my guess is somewhere in the early 80s.

This also means that in actuality, the show had far fewer episodes than its established episode number (13,858) would suggest. I'll update the early years later this week.

Edited by Brolden

• Members

Thank u so much for all your hard work. I am collecting episodes right now from Atwt and I always assumed that some numbers were off from all the long running soaps

Even on ABC when General Hospital aired its 13000th Episode they said it was a Monday even though it should’ve aired on the Friday. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

I'm just looking at this for the first time. Just read of its existence last week. I can probably explain what happened in 1995. That was the year that RATS was split. RATS rec.arts.tv.soaps was all US soaps, each channel. There was a proposal to split it by channels. There was a vote & 3 new groups were voted in. RATSa, RATSc & RATSm standing for an ABC group, a CBS group & a miscellaneous group which is where NBC went & most of the traffic was NBC traffic. Formally the new groups were actually named:

rec.arts.tv.soaps.abc

rec.arts.tv.soaps.cbs

rec.arts.tv.soaps.misc

So in 1995 ATWT traffic for a period of time was duplicated, being both in RATS & also in RATSc. That made the volume of traffic artificially overinflated. 

Now, can anyone explain to me what the relationship is between this list & what is up on YouTube? Thanks! 

• Members

Wherever episodes are available on Youtube, I've included channel names where they can be found.

I'm afraid I haven't been able to update in a while, which means I can't guarantee all episodes can still be found, and there may be newer uploads missing from the list. I still plan to update the list at a later date, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to.

• Members

I understand now. And, I also understand about getting time to update & what you've done is remarkable & kudos & thanks! Whatever you do, whenever you do it, is not only enough it is above & beyond, well you catch my drift! And, you've just been given a tip about a lot of new information about pre-emptions in the "Ratings of xx's" threads. You're gonna love it! Thanks again for all your hard, and smart, work!

• Members

Personally, I say you don't need to touch your hard and extremely dedicated work for a while. It's a golden trove of information. I still use it every day to continue my ATWT watch. (Up to Feb 2020.) It's true that there are some you have listed that have been taken down but that's easily discovered by doing a search on YouTube. And yes, I believe there was a big dump of new '90/'91 recently. Maybe one of us can take the time to put those two years together and update what you've started. You've done more than enough!