Offbeat Soap Facts/News bits/Anecdotes you still remember

• Members

I didn’t think so either, and it appeared to be a clear slam on his co-star Martha Byrne whom he didn’t mention. It was when he left around ‘97, and he wound up returning several times. I think he thought he was hot stuff because he booked “L.A. Confidential.”

Edited by Faulkner

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Hinsey alone could fill out some of these.  For some reason, I followed her Facebook page.. and she said recently that she put a status update up twice for the following things..

1) She didn't understand why the testimonies for possible Russian interference was pre-empted her soaps when she figured if people really wanted to watch them, they could watch it online. 

So naturally I said that the future of our country and determining if our democratic process has been violated is much more important then watching a soap opera.  She and some other people didn't take kindly to that.

2) She was mad also about the Mark Zukerberg testimonies pre-empting GH (a show she thinks is the holy grail of soap operas).. saying people should know their privacy isn't guranteed on social media so why waste peoples time (I.e. basically victim blaming).

• Members

It was crazy. Even during the weakest years of the ‘90s (and there were some stinkers), ATWT had 10 or more cast members who could act circles around PS. A ridiculous comment. His later interviews were more gracious.

• Members

I was googling the famous Beth Ehlers quote on J.R. Martinez when they were on AMC, and I found this amazing Twitter thread.

More where that came from starting below...

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Ironically, more AMC fans seemed to like J.R. Martinez than they did Beth Ehlers.

Frankly, those four were a little too chummy for my taste.  I kept expecting someone to reveal that they had engaged in group orgies.

• Members

There were rumors about Tylo and Brown - there was a soap magazine photo of them spoofing the rumors by hugging and mugging for the camera. 

Going back to the older years...

All of the Paul Rauch/Harding Lemay vs George Reinholt and Jacquie Courtney stuff splashed over the magazines. Grandmothers back then must have been aghast. 

The stuff with Courtney and Peter Simon getting together and her husband spilling to soap magazines (if memory serves - I may be wrong). 

That bizarre stuff where for years and years magazines ran stories about Don Stewart being a bachelor and looking for love (complete with a "date" with Eileen Fulton for Daytime TV) - until by the late '70s he admitted he had a wife and just didn't want to talk about her. 

Speaking of Eileen, knowing her marriage ended very badly makes the many, many gushing '70s articles about her and her husband...an uncomfortable read.

Some of the strained and cringe-y attempts to mix '70s trends and news with soap actors, whether it be myriad actors posing with their guitars, talking about therapy, talking about EST, or talking about feminism. The one that is burned in my brain is an actress (I think it was Wynne Miller of Somerset) posing in her kitchen, color photos, as the headline blared something like, "WYNNE MILLER BELIEVES IN LAMB CHOPS, NOT KARATE CHOPS"

Edited by DRW50

• Members

A lot of soap actors hooking up while married always was cringe worthy.

Eileen Davidson hooked up with Vincent Van Patten when he was on Y&R. Wasn't he still married to Betsy Russell at the time ? 

Colleen Zenk and Mark Pinter. CZ seems to be a bit over the top with all the backstage antics over the years.

That stuff with Jason Brooks/ Melissa Reeves/Scott Reeves.

Robert Kelker Kelly/Lisa Rinna/Kristian Alfonso at Days. RKK always came across as sleazy, self centered, and vain. I picture him always checking himself out in the mirror. Did he ever wear a shirt or at least one that covered most of his body ? ....Heck Days backstage was always a mess along with Y&R, especially in the 90's.

• Members

The rumors in the late 80s that Eileen Davidson was a transexual, that soap columnists debunked for several years. From Days, around 1979, newspapers reported that Kaye Stevens had assaulted Susan Seaforth Hayes on the set after Susan called her out for being unprofessional.

• Members

There was also the one that I used to think was a joke but people wrote into SOD about - whether it was true that Susan Lucci and Robin Strasser were sisters and Phyllis Diller was their mother.