What are you currently reading?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...
  • Members

Has anyone read the Demi Moore memoir Inside Out

I've been listening to the audiobook and am currently on the section where she talks about her time auditioning and acting on General Hospital. Distinctive ways of speech, like hers, were meant for audiobooks.

Please register in order to view this content

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Ironically, given today's and recent news events in America, I am smack dab in the middle of reading the book Caste by Isabel Wilkerson which discusses such aspects as citizens' arrest and stand your ground as being outgrowth of slavery and Jim Crow laws, when slaveholders were allowed to apprehend, by force any Black man or women that they deemed runaways, even if the person they "caught" had free papers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Another audiobook. I just listened to the chapter where he narrates his experience of his parents becoming estranged and he got lost in television shows as a form of escape. There is a passage on how the soap Dallas blew his mind, in particular, a scene where Sue Ellen arrives to breakfast by horseback! The estate of Southfork became aspirational for Smith as a child.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

The last book I finished was Call Me Anne. Anne Heche was 98% finished with it at the time of her tragic death Aug. 11, 2022. Her BFF & podcast partner Heather wrote a final chapter beautifully, taking care of any loose threads. Not only does Anne tell about her life, in every chapter she includes positive life-affirming advice or how-to. Brilliant idea! 

• Members

I am halfway through Susan Lucci's All My Life: A Memoir (Promo E-Books)

As you probably know Susan Lucci has been a part of daytime since AMC debuted in 1970. In all of that time she never made critical remarks about anyone or anything in the business. Until the 2011 epilogue to her memoir ALL MY LIFE when she shared about Brian Frons & the cancellation of AMC. "An iconic show was losing out to greed ... If Brian Frons could show his bosses that he could save the network 40 percent ... he could keep his job even if the rest of us lost ours." He'd told her that April that he was replacing AMC with a food talk show THE CHEW because it was cheaper to produce. Now, this was after he had moved production from NYC to LA to save money. Many cast members took awful hits selling their house on one coast to move to the other. "I watched Brian Frons' decisions destroy the production of our show and the lives of people on both sides of the country." Besides her comments about what he did she took issue with his seeming to be positively gleeful at the idea of the change. And, to sum up, she said that he "has what, for me, is that fatal combination of ignorance and arrogance."