ER Discussion Thread

dragonflies

• Members

And Abby was what made me peace the hell out. But I did come back for S15. I HAAAAAAAAAAAATE Abby. Me, I loved the Original Six and watched the first 6 seasons faithfully. After that came the wreck of Luka/Abby/Carter. And, no thank you.

I did tune back in in S8 to see Susan's return. But the writers then never "got" her, and I drifted away again.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Abby Lockhart sees all y'all's shade and...

Please register in order to view this content

Image result for abby lockhart gif

Perhaps one of THE most shocking moments of TV. Deserves to be rewatched.

I can see how the big focus on those three could rattle some, but I am loving it as I properly watch for the first time. I'm willing to follow where the show is going, provided they keep me entertained.

The show did become more soap opera by season 6 -- and therefore, more addictive and entertaining than ever. After 6 or 7 seasons, I think that's why they were able to keep interest going for several more years. The key is not to let the stunts become too much, which I will have to keep watching to find out.

Edited by YRBB

• Members

I just felt they could not remotely compare to Doug, Carol, etc. And I also felt manipulated by the forced pairing of Corday and Greene.

I remember that Lo-Fidelity All-Stars/Pigeonhed song in that famous scene with Lucy on the floor - I was very into British techno at the time and I geeked out when it played on the show.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Alas, you can "thank" Eriq LaSalle for Corday/Greene (in a roundabout way). While he says he had no trouble with Alex Kingston, he felt finally having a successful relationship with a white woman sent a bad message, hence their split and Cleo-Bot, Michael Michelle, coming on.

• Members

Oh, I know it was him. I was being polite. I can't believe they couldn't have found a better love interest for him if they'd absolutely had to change things - they could've put him back with Jeanie Boulet. But I never got over the Corday thing.

• Members

I didn't know until I checked Wikipedia that Jeanie's life sounded so miserable when she returned in the penultimate season. Separated from her husband, kid likely had full-blown AIDS, but still working hard for other AIDS patients. I guess that's something. Gloria Reuben left the show to be a backup singer for Tina Turner - she's acting a lot again today.

I never got the Weaver gay thing. It seemed like a weird direction to take a complicated, prickly character, like they thought 'other'ing her would explain her. And pairing her with a woman who soon dies horribly was a tired cliche even then. I fúcking loved Laura Innes. I hope she's still doing a lot.

ETA: Wow - she's directing a ton of TV.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I agree about Carol, but Doug? They tried to make him a tortured man but I never felt it took off. IT's like he was meant to be this very complicated man, but I would not care for him if not for Carol. Perhaps I need to rewatch.

Oooooooh! I did not know about this! It always struck me as weird that they ended Benton/Corday when it was really working and they had really good chemistry. And then Corday/Greene just... happened. The only reason I care for the couple is the actors.

• Members

I think - had they had better writing - they maybe could have worked. (I thought they had chemistry in Susan's early years.) But then, the writers were different, Abby was a factor, and they were admittedly a mess. For the record, it doesn't last long. But they remain friends.

• Members

I don't think she was on long enough to be considered a failure... I think the writers hinting at a Carter/Lucy pairing is what colors people to her character.  I know Kellie Martin had a family member sick, and she couldn't be on a medical show while that was going on so she asked to leave.  I figured she'd die.. but I was still surprised at how it came about.

In the earlier seasons, I would say Maria Bello's character D'amico (not sure if the right character name or not) was more of a failture then Kellie Martin's character.

• Members

I know Martin talked about how she and the writers felt there was nowhere else to go with Lucy as a character, that it hadn't worked out. She was certainly seen as an annoying youth-oriented "Scrappy-Doo" type by the audience and critics when she first arrived, and in her second and final season was mostly irrelevant til she got killed off. But her death became a seminal moment.

Maria Bello quit on her own AFAIK, which is a shame because she was (and is) great. Same with Jorja Fox as Maggie Doyle.

Edited by Vee

• Members

That's good to know. I'm not seeing a lot of chemistry in the present and it feels a little forced. I'm glad they don't end up hating each other's guts.

If I remember correctly from when I first watched, it did feel like she came on board and suddenly it was all about her all the time. An exaggeration, but considering she was a little annoying...

Considering I was mostly too young the first time around for this show, all this backstage reasons/info is very fascinating.

I agree that Lucy had run her course by the time she was stabbed.