Series You Initially Loved, Then Abandoned and Never Finished

Faulkner

• Members

Same.  Although I did return for the last 2 or 3 episodes.  (Same goes for "Growing Pains.")  I know many were pissed that WTB? ended with Tony and Angela still unmarried, but I felt the actual ending -- with Tony coming back to Angela, and the two doing a brief callback to their initial meeting -- was plenty satisfying.  Unless we're talking about soap operas, I'm okay with a show NOT ending with a woman literally walking down the aisle.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

New Girl is a weird case. It’s going into its final “mini” season, and there’s no buzz at all. People got over that show QUICK. The cast has totally moved on (Max Greenfield is everywhere) as has Liz Meriwether. 

Grey’s is a show that’s somewhat easy to go in and out of. It still gets covered in the media rags, so you can keep up with the goings-on without having to watch. It’s terrible TV for the most part like all Shonda shows, but it has its moments.

I was too young to fully appreciate Knots, Dynasty, and Dallas, but I loved 90210 and especially Melrose Place in their first couple of seasons, but seemed to just lose touch with both shows.

Murphy Brown I didn’t watch to the end. Wasn’t interested after she had the baby.

• Members

In retrospect, I think David Angell, Peter Casey and David Lee played things too safely when they created "Wings," copying the "Cheers" model down to the metaphorical letter.  Plus, it didn't help matters to have a writing staff that wasn't as witty (although, I think Ken Levine & David Isaacs, David Lloyd and his son, Christopher, did the very best they could) or a cast that wasn't as naturally funny.  

Marc Cherry is the virtual definition of "one-trick pony."  He tells exactly the same kind of story with exactly the same kind of characters Every. Single. Time.  I'm glad Lifetime finally caught onto his game and canceled "Devious Maids" when they did (even if it meant Susan Lucci was once again off our TV screens).

• Members

Some additional shows I was thinking of..

Desperate Housewives (quit watching after Nicolette was fired... tuned in briefly when Vanessa Williams joined the show.. but when I saw that the show was just using her as an Edie fill in... I tuned back out.. and only tuned in for the final episode).

Ugly Betty- Season 1 was flawless.. season 2 (given that it occurred during the writer strike) wasn't too bad.. season 3 lost me.. and season 4 I tuned in every once in awhile.. but liked that Willamena got Mode at long last (she deserved it the whole time).

House of Cards (quit watching in the middle of season 4.. it just seemed like Kevin Spacey's character would never be defeated.. and it was too dark for me).

Fuller House (quit mid way through season 2 because I'm not into love triangles.. and I hated that the whole appeal of the series.. the chemistry between the three women was not utilized more.. and all three were paired off too quickly).

Orange is the new Black (once Poussey was killed... I just couldn't watch much more.. especially with that horrible waste of a duo Piper and Alex still allowed to exist on the show)

• Members

I can't even say the same about Julian, lol.  I mean, I guess Marla/Mary needed a new antagonist, since Marla was intent on shoving Jackee off the show.  But...why him?  And why Paul Winfield (who, in my opinion, is about as funny as ulcerative colitis)?  Moreover, Julian's addition to the show as the building's new owner and super somehow made Alaina Reed Hall even less relevant, which I HATED.

• Members

HoC is one of the shows where I said to myself, “Why did I bother?” The British original was just better in every way and shorter so that the darker elements weren’t quite as relentless. It’s crazy that fans want Claire to be president given some of the heinous things SHE has done (unless there was some redemption arc I missed after I stopped watching).

• Members

The last couple years of Wings felt more like "Friends at the airport" than "Cheers at the airport". While it's an underrated classic for sure with Tony Shalhoub being the real find and was a favorite show of mine when it was on it hasn't aged well at all. I think the cast for the most part did a great job, rewatching it and looking back it's seems the writing for the characters could be an issue at times, with Crystal Bernad's Helen coming off at unintentionally unlikeable, David Schramm's Roy being a caricature, or in the odd case of Steven Weber's Brian, forgettable. 

• Members

I've heard and read the same, although Martin Cohan and Blake Hunter tended to credit (or blame) the execs at Sony rather than any of the cast.

Remember when Julian faked his death to avoid paying alimony?  And he showed up at his own funeral, pretending to be his Jamaican cousin?  Lord, does that episode give me the run-offs.

• Members

Yeah, I had checked out of 227 by then for similar reasons (plus I started working Saturday evenings).

Rose (Alaina Reed Hall) was pushed into the background after marrying.

This would have been after Mrs. G. left Facts and Facts had been cancelled. I thought she left Facts because she was "retiring." Guess not.

Archived