DAYS: 1980's Day-By-Day Episode Guide

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A great read. Looking through you can see the shift in tone as the show became more 'cartoonish' under DePriest and Anderson

Stefano becoming the mega villian, the Mickey presumed dead plot leading to Don/Maggie and the hijinks with Eugene and the robot etc,Doug and Julie given filler, the shift away from the Hortons etc

• Members

Yeah, you can see the shifts, it's interesting to read.

I know people revere the 80s for DAYS but lawd, some of the things would have driven me nuts. You can sort of tell when the show got stinky and then would recover. It was disappointing to see the shift in 1980/1981 with the slew of head writers and exits of many characters.

I've been reading the 'Weekly Synopses" (http://www.jason47.com/days/synopsesweekly1.html) and while little details likely aren't covered (you go weeks and weeks sometimes without seeing those who weren't heavy in story, so I'm anxious for true daily recaps) it's such a great read to see all the shifts that happen.

As a fan, if I were watching at the time, the Steve/Kayla/Jack triangle would have been soooo frustrating to watch. I also sort of cringe at the voodoo stuff, a lot of the time machine stuff with Eugene ... I mean, it's kind of amazing fans ate that stuff up, but I guess it was a different time. They'd be totally ripped apart now.

I had no idea when Stefano was first introduced he was tied to Doug and Julie and "had plans for Julie". So fascinating. It never really went anywhere. I loved the sound of early Tony and Stefano and how involved they were in the core characters at the time. Kind of disappointing Stefano became such a cartoon, and it seemed like when they paired Tony and Anna, they seemed to lose interest in Tony. And they seemed to not know what to do with Anna, likely giving her a lot of comedy fluff.

It was sad to see Liz, Neil and Alex become so uninvolved over time.

And poor David Banning. Always on the run, or in hiding, or in some kind of trouble. LOL.

I was reading 1988 last night and it's interesting that Diana seemed to be brought on for Mike but they shifted her to RoJohn. The show also seemed to quickly lose interest in Robin and Mike. I liked they tied Robin to Robert. They brought Robert back a few times but never did anything with him. Meanwhile, Doug has a son out there we've never seen as an adult ... HELLO, RON!

Melissa also had a lot of crappy stories, IMO. She never stood a chance LOL

I've been absorbed in DAYS history and know a lot of everything that happens but it's still great to get weekly and daily synposes, which sometimes reveals things you don't know if you weren't watching at the time.

Thank you for all of your hard work, Jason!

• Members

I love seeing the daily cast lists and sets used, but, and this is just a minor silly quibble, when I see "Episode Guide" I assume it's going to have daily synopses of episodes. Not a big deal but it's a bit confusing for me.

I know there were recaps being posted at Daytime Royalty but I can't seem to find that thread anymore @JAS0N47

• Members

I think over the years he just learned to roll with it, even if he could be outspoken in interviews. But back in 1982, Joe was still a newbie in Daytime so he was probably very disappointed that PFS left so soon since she was the one who persuaded him to join the show and let him have input on the character. She created the role of Stefano after seeing Joe in The Gangster Chronicles.

• Members

Like I said at DR, I was originally only going to do this back to November 1983, when daily episode summaries are available, so that's why I kept the Daily Episode Guide title. Then someone contacted me and said they had some daily notes for various episodes from 1981-1983. They have so far only sent the first batch from 1981. In any event, that gave me the impetus to type out the daily cast lists for the 1980-1983, most of which have been posted as of today. So as we head into November 1983, most episodes will have daily summaries from all of the various sources available on the web, plus new exclusives written just for the guide by many nice people who took the time recently to watch the episodes and write out detailed summaries. And, I've saved room in the guide so if at some point daily summaries become available for 1980-1983, they can easily be edited into what's already there.

I titled the 2000s and 2010s as Daily Episode Summaries, since those are the NBC/iTunes recaps written by the show. The 1960s and 1970s (when posted eventually) (as well as the 1980's and 1990's) will be titled Daily Episode Guide, since not all of them contain summaries, but all will contain the cast & set lists.

• Members

Thank you Jason!

Wasn't trying to complain about no daily episode guide for the early years, just disappointed there isn't one

Please register in order to view this content

(yet)

But I love the daily cast list and the weekly summaries are great so I'm enjoying it all. Thanks for all you do!

Thanks for the great recaps Jason. I always been interested in Nina Laemmie's disastrous run. Reading the recaps so many characters left Salem or died. As a slew of newbies invaded Salem all at the same time. Things seem to stabilize under Gary Tomlin & Michelle Poteet Lisanti. I had no idea they created Renee and started the Salem Strangler story. I always thought PFS came up with that story. I also had no idea that Nick Corelli first appeared in 1981. This is a real education. I love discovering all these tidbits.

• Members

Matt at DR deserves the credit for the Tune in Tomorrow Weekly recaps. Over the past few years, he's been typing them up, as well as adding all of the scans of every "Days" summary from Soap Opera Digest for all of 1976-2008. At the rate he's been going, he should be fully caught up to the present day in just two years!

Since there were no daily summaries to use for most of 1980-1983, Matt's recaps came in quite handy as a quick weekly guide to show what was happening during those 4 years. It's nice to have them paired now with all of the daily cast/set lists.

As for Nick, he is actually listed on an early script (I forget which one) as Nick Bartelli, so I don't know if that made it to air and was changed to Corelli at a later date, or if Bartelli was changed to Corelli before taping.

I think I've only asked elsewhere before, but if anyone here would like to help contribute to the daily summary guide and watch some episodes (main years needed now are 1985, 1988 and 1989), please let me know. Those of you who like to watch old episodes anyway, it could be quite helpful if you could send me some summaries. If you have any interest, please let me know, and I'll send you some episode airdates that I need!  Any help is appreciated. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I love seeing how what material corresponded with sweeps periods (Jake being revealed as the Salem Strangler at the end of February 1982) or holidays (Marlena's "death" the Friday before Memorial Day 1982; Renee's death the Friday before Labor Day 1983).

Archived