Days of Our Lives General Discussion

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I chose it with the idea it must have been Bill Bell's best work, since he outgrew the show and launched Y&R a year later (maybe it was already in the works?). I just now read he was with the show until 1975, and stayed as a consultant until '78; however, I imagine '71-72 was his strongest material, although I'd just as much like to see anything from the late '60s through '77 or '78.

• Members

I always heard 1976 was great too, but really I just want to see those early episodes. I know I’m always a Debbie Downer about classic soaps getting on streaming, but they have to figure out *some* way of releasing this stuff to the public.

• Members

I hate you

RANT COMING! LOL

But lawd I do not miss that man at all. My god the focus on him was sickening. I was so elated when he was finally disposed of. But of course they had to toss my hottie Eric under the bus at the time.

I never remember hating Shawn Christian until he came to DAYS. I'll hang out with the cool surfer bro in real life but I don't care for it on-screen. And he always acted bothered by anyone. He was terrible. I really think some actors get worse not better. I'll never forget him pretending to be drunk, he was just godawful. I never hated him on ATWT, I never hated him on 90210, I never hated him on Lori Loughlin's WB show Summerland .... but man, I hated him on DAYS. Just shoved down our throats and they really tried so hard to make him happen.

His character pretty much killed Nicole as one and did severe damage to Maggie, Chloe, Jennifer .... though I don't recall having a seething hatred for Daniel until he was with Jennifer .... Not that he took the place of Mike Horton but in my mind he did so I irrationally resented him for that too (resented the character, not the actor, Shawn seems alright). I mean they threw so many women and people at him to make him work. They literally changed the paternity of Parker from Philip's to give him a kid and on top of that they made him Melame's father. And Maggie's his mother! And Victor's his godfather!

I mean. Give me a break! lol

+1

I'd be watching old DAYS probably non-stop if it was streaming (well, I'd watch most of the soaps if they were streaming their classic episodes, but especially DAYS). What they need to do is go year by year and start making them available. I'd pay for an app that gave me episodes, other features. Instead of emoji's DAYS should have released a true app. All soaps should have apps with classic episodes, character bios, summaries .... I know you can go online but I think the soaps need apps and to foster more interaction.

What sucks is they keep deleting old stuff off of Youtube but they fail to make it available otherwise. It's really frustrating and I don't get it. I'm pretty sure it's Sony pushing the deleting of youtube stuff.

I can put up an antenna on my roof and watch TV for free but they take stuff off youtube but then they don't bother to try and make a profit off of it. Sorry, it makes me angry.

• Members

ITA! I am happy they never cast him as Mike Horton like many other fans wanted. For me, Shawn Christian's acting (and hair!) was just as much of a problem as the writing and insane propping of Daniel. And you're right, he always acted bothered. Even if just the phone was ringing or someone was knocking on the door, he acted like he carried all of the worlds problems on his shoulders. His acting was very limitied. Always the same two or three acting tics when playing upset.

• Members

It pisses me off too. Sony isn’t even putting classic Y&R and DAYS up on its own service Crackle, which I think is probably the only option we have at the moment. Netflix/Hulu/Amazon I don’t think would be interested, and what they’d offer Sony probably wouldn’t cover the costs. I wonder if Disney would ever stream classic ABC soaps on its soon-to-be-launched SVOD service. 

• Members

God yes. All of this. You nailed it on what I was meaning when I said he always acted bothered. It irritated me so much. A couple other actors that aren't coming to brain do this too and it drives me nuts. He's very limited. So is Galen Gering. I used to feel the same about Eric Martsolf waaaay back in the day but he's grown on me and I think he's come a very long way. Unlike Shawn and Galen who seem to be going backwards in the acting department, not that they were anywhere near good to begin with though .... lol

I could go on for days about Galen and Shawn and how their characters infected this show. Rafe could have been a potentially good lead if not for Galen, who's never going to be a lead actor no matter how hard they try. Galen does better with comedy and snark and reacting to ridiculous things. There was a brief period where I actually enjoyed the character of Rafe, when he was single and in cop mode and kind of snarky, etc. I'm drawing a blank on the time frame but it was probably around Griffith. IDK. Maybe around the Kate hookup and I actually liked him as friends with Nicole. So I'm not totally anti-Rafe. Just anti-Rafe and Hope. And anti-Rafe and Sami.

If Disney and the Fox deal finalizes doesn't Disney also now have controlling interest of Hulu? They could put the soaps there as I do think the soaps on Hulu draw viewership. In terms of viewers I don't believe AMC or OLTL on Hulu were failures. They were often on the top after they were released. Granted, I don't know how many viewers they actually have but still.

Anyway I feel like the audience is there for reruns (and for them to survive with new episodes online) but I don't understand why they won't capitalize on it. I guess converting episodes? Music? They just can't be bothered, I guess.

I'd love an over the air channel (similar to say Retro, METV, etc.) that aired old soaps. I wish Retro would have added more even though it's not the most widely available channel.

• Members

It’s music rights, digitizing, editing and color correction, tagging, etc. plus the sheer volume of episodes. (In or year or two, soaps have as many episodes as the longest-running primetime TV dramas.) Add to that a distaste for acquiring old programming or film (explained here), the stigma of soaps, and the renewed focus of the more mature streaming services on creating original programming, it’s just not a good environment at the moment for soaps to appear on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon.  Hell, Hulu expressed hesitation to acquire the run of “ER,” and that was a relatively recent show, starring a current movie star, which was critically beloved and watched by TENS of millions. It’s been successful, yes, but the hesitation shows the mindset.

I think it would be easier if the owners of the content (Sony/Disney) put their soaps on their own services. Their fledgling services would be in need of content to build their libraries, so they might be able to justify the loss on the costs of editing, etc. 

Archived