GH Drops Soap Vet

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

RB is a beautiful woman and a fine actress, but even she couldn't turn her lackluster storylines into gold.  That is in absolutely no way her fault.  I think part of the reason Hayden didn't catch on was because they didn't bring Jeff Webber back to play out her backstory.  As a result,making her a Webber didn't really click.  Could any longtime viewers buy that Jeff Webber wouldn't want to meet his own daughter immediately?  It just didn't work for me.

• Members

Whether or not Hayden caught on with viewers is so irrelevant.  Howarth and staff just resigned and their characters are as rancid, useless and a waste of space as they come!  Viewers are not tuning in for Frank's pets (or stories), so he has to get rid of some people and because there aren't many vets left, the fat he must trim are the people he brought in just because he can.  Frank's goal was to completely erase GH but that didn't work, so now he has to humble himself and bring back a guy he didn't even try to negotiate a contract, Burton!  

Hayden as Liz's sister should have been huge, but it was nothing but a ploy to legitimize another pet.  The reveal was forgettable (how did it come out?) and Herbst is still without story or purpose.  She's just propping that [!@#$%^&*] stain, Howarth.  Each time Hayden and malnourished Finn showed up onscreen, I always asked myself "why are they here".  It was just 2 people Frank brought on and hoped he'd find something in them that would interest viewers, much like all of his hires.  

Budig gone does not hurt GH one bit as she was never needed.  I liked her as Michelle Bauer and GreenPea but NEVER embraced her as Hayden because there was never going to be anything to the character.

• Members

LOL, let's be clear, Frank was always trying to get Steve back. And I hate Steve Burton, but it's true. This shīt isn't new or Frank changing his mind. It was his goal five years ago and he never forgot it.

He gambled and lost that Steve would come to terms in 2012, because Frank had bruised Steve's ego by not centering the show around Jason as much and not catering to his needs. Then Frank and Ron made the same mistake they made with TSJ at OLTL during the Two Todds, thinking they could keep him around on a semi-regular basis and that they could keep writing story for Jason (which is why they brought back Sean Kanan as A.J., then lost interest in him when Steve signed at CBS). Frank thought they could manhandle Steve like he does most actors (see: Budig's abrupt firing, among many many others), but Steve has way too much ego for that. He had a job as long as JFP did. So Frank moved on but he knew Steve wouldn't be gone forever, and so did I.

There is no one to root for here. I knew from Day 1 that Frank (and Ron) would ultimately want to rehash Two Todds with Two Jasons and Burton/Miller, and I have always said so. I knew Steve would come sniffing around at GH when Jill lost her job. And I knew Frank would drop everything to get him back (and cut many expensive people to do it), and redo the same story which will end with Steve phoning it in, wearing black t-shirts and staring into space for the next 5-10 years. Frank sees it as a net win for the show and his job. That's all he cares about. He'll cut almost anyone or anything for the sake of the next goal. His GH may be terrible but he's like a shark, he never stops moving.

• Members

No, Frank tossed Burton (as well as others) overboard to accommodate his pets, Howarth and Easton.  Couldn't afford all of them.  He immediately put sam back with Easton and Wright with Howarth.  There was no room for Burton and Frank wanted him gone.

• Members

Chit, you can believe whatever you want that makes you feel good but I'm telling you what actually happened. He wanted it all while downgrading Jason and refusing to bend much in negotiation - he believed Steve, like Benard and many others, would take the knee and cooperate and he could continue making Jason a lesser focus while leaning on his fanbase and Sam's in a triangle. He never wanted to lose Jason because he intended to keep leveraging that massive fanbase while telling stories that were not Jason-centric (and yes, likely shifting more to McBain and Todd - which Steve could not abide). And Steve, who has a huge ego and was insulted by both the negotiation and the story, walked away. Frank tried to get him back, Steve took another job. So he waited.

This is how Frank rolls for everyone who isn't a favorite of the moment or Tony Geary. He put Burton on notice, but unlike others Burton walked. As I said it's a miscalculation Frank has made before, several times, but often it worked. And when he's bored or needs to get someone else (in this case, Burton), Frank will cut you without a thought (Budig). He alternates between accommodating and rolling out the red carpet, and freezing people out. His only constant blind spot seems to be Roger Howarth, who was thisclose to leaving recently.

I am not defending or praising it - I think Frank should be gone, myself. I am just stating the facts. This is how he operates. Story is often irrelevant vs. his favorite of the moment, or when those fail, cold hard numbers. Steve Burton brought numbers. Frank wanted them, but he also wanted to break Burton. When he couldn't he waited it out. Now Burton is back and Frank doesn't give a [!@#$%^&*] about the past. All Frank cares about is Frank and the numbers.

• Members

Steve's demands would not matter here because Frank wanted him gone so that Easton could take his spot.  It was on all of our screens.  They even sidelined Benard (thank god) for Howarth.  Steve walked and rightfully so.  Now, he has returned and will get everything he wants!  

I'm good!  

• Members

Without a doubt!  Ron was a little bitch, but I want to see what he can do w/o Frank, so I will catch his Days.  Some of his ideas were absolutely heinous, but the poison water and Michael Q were good.  He's got to let go of the masks tho!  

I don't believe GH will ever stand a chance with Frank as EP.  He is a shortsighted pompous jackass!  Totally clueless about soaps!

• Members

No, what he wanted was to play a triangle in perpetuity with Jason, Sam and McBain so he could play all their fanbases for maximum viewership. And likely with Jason in a losing role to McBain for a good portion of that time, pairing up Sam and McBain for at least a good stretch as he was clearly moving towards, which is what Steve objected to along with the de-emphasis of Sonny, Jason and the mob.

This is what I keep trying to explain to you, but you don't listen because you think like a fanbase where everything is about X or Y - 'Frank couldn't possibly have wanted to keep Steve because he loves the OLTL stars!' Yes he does, but he also wanted to keep Steve - on his terms. Frank has almost zero loyalty to any fanbases or actors if they do not serve his goals. With the exception of a few terrible people he discards most favorites when they cease to be of use to him (Budig, many others) without any remorse, though he will try very hard to run them into the ground first. Same with most couples. He doesn't give a fúck about anything other than maximizing results, and if those fail he blames them and moves on while preserving his own job. To him playing out an endless story with Monaco, Easton and Steve Burton with all their fans tearing each other to pieces on social media for years was seen as ratings heaven on Earth. That's all. You choose to be unable to conceive of a show where Frank could have had both actors - what I am telling you is he wanted it and wanted Steve/Jason in a sub-optimal role where Jason wasn't 'winning' the triangle or the story the whole time, and that's what Steve could not tolerate. I am not saying it would have been a good story, but it is 100% what was intended. Take it or leave it, it's the truth.

If you view this development as a binary choice between Frank and Steve then sure, it's good. I don't. They're both bad and Steve ate the show for decades. Frank has been ruining the show for years. Neither is good news.

• Members

Not gonna read your chit, Vee, if you talk to me that way.  The beginning of paragraph 2 is a turn off.  I don't have to listen to anything you have to say, but I will as long as you are respectful.  Right now, you are not being respectful.  I'm not a stan so please don't treat me as such!  

Have a good one

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Jill was offering Steve alot more money then Frank could. Steve wasnt cheap. U all can bash Frank but GH was supposed to be cancelled in 2012. It was on the plans to be done and Frank didnt have the dough to keep Steve from Jill. I guarantee had JFP still been at YR he would have renewed.

Archived