Y&R January 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

That was long before Hilary came on. 

But Devon's interactions with both those ladies were storyline dictated. Chloe was because he was a tag along with lily and Cane. Abby because of the Tucker being devon's father reveal. They never followed through and I don't think there was ever any intention to do so. 

+2

I'm loving the show. There are things I don't like but then there are things I do. It's thoroughly enjoyable every day. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The problem with Abby is that she's not Devon, Lily, Mariah, Chloe & Hilary's peer. Colleen & Sierra were but not Abby.

Recasts aside (as a character) she's a few years behind them. She should have group built around her or be a part of her own group. That's one of the reasons why she's been useless most of her run. A group of Kyle, Abby, Moses, Fen & Reed would work much better than trying to squeeze her into an existing group of legacy characters.

Devon needs more male friends. He should be hanging out with Noah, Chance, Nate & Scotty instead of playing babysitter for another aimless female character.

Y&R has never really chemtested Devon with either of them. As asjp said he largely interacted with them because he was a side character in other storylines.

Devon's actually had real chem tests with various potential female characters (he had great chemistry with Shannon Kane) but they all occurred all prior to his holding pattern relationship with Roxy.

• Members

Oh, that's the last thing I think. But you spend so much time minutely examining every single day with how the slightest line or cut is supposedly out to cast all the Winters in a terrible light vs. Hilary - and I think at least half the time you're imagining that, but that's me.

The point is, you seem to think the show is out to ignore or disenfranchise them vs. just showcasing her. At least that's how it comes across. I can't tell whether you like or hate her half the time. And it wouldn't matter who it was, because I am not stanning for a single character on this show - it's not about Hilary for me so much as the seeming preoccupation with how the other three are being treated unfairly in her light.

I would love to see the Winters characters thrive. But pretending that the audience and the new writers or the directors are the big issue in the last few weeks  instead of the massive, years-long systemic problems with these characters, and the reason people are gravitating towards others, is just silly. Their issues go back a long way. It just so happens that Hilary, being the newest, is the least damaged and frankly, at this point, most charismatic. I'd say wait and see if they're going to work with these characters vs. simply assuming that Hilary is their only priority and that all the other Winters will be crushed underfoot because the show is infatuated with her. And yes, that is how your posts about this come across to me.

(And I talked about Billy in an entirely different post.)

• Members

You are wrong, you know. I don't have a Hilary vs Winters debate. What you've seen from me time and time and time  again is a black character/cast vs their white counterparts debate. Now THAT, I will admit to proudly and fully intend to continue loudly. So, you're prescribing things to me that just aren't true.  

Pointing out issues with the writing for a character does not equate to disliking them. Pointing out propping for a character does not equate to disliking them. Pointing out deficiencies in a story does not equate to disliking it.  I'm not the kind of person who follows blindly every piece of writing a character gets just because I'm a fan. Who does that? Loving a character does not take away my ability to reason or give a fair and balanced opinion. But it seems that's what you're expecting. 

And you're still mentioning irrelevant things about gravitational pull. Just stop. 

At this point, Abby is in their age group and is portrayed as their peer. I don't think viewers see her as younger than them and I doubt any quibble about them interacting. It'd work. 

But I do agree about Devon needing males his own age to interact with. There are none on canvas (besides new Ravi or nonexistent Noah). He's the lone Ranger. I'm hoping some of this new casting will give him someone to interact with. But to the point I just made to Vee about my long standing debate, I fear he will be crapped on to make them happen. Lol

• Members

One thing I'll say in MO's favor is I think she does come across as a classic soap adult. I believe her as Ashley's daughter because she has a certain poise and coolness about her, which Ashley always had.  When I see her on screen she seems a contemporary of Hillary and Devon at the very least.  For whatever reason, it's Mariah who seems younger than her real age to me. 

• Members

That might be because of how Sharon relates to Mariah. She talks to her like she's her teen daughter as opposed to an adult. She was at GC buzz fighting her battle against Hilary like she was defending her preteen daughter against a school room bully. 

• Members

Is the show better than what it has been? Of course..nothing can be worse than the travesty they had year after year but the show still isn't good. It has tons of work left....and I am not caring for any of the stories ....not even Lauren's for one reason...why in the hell is Gloria involved? Really...she was one of the dark times during Y&R horrid run.  Where is Joanna??????

Get rid of Gloria!!

• Members

I think part of what's going on here is that people are genuinely interested in Y&R again and people on message boards tend to be analytical.  For example I really struggle to have anything to say about Days and I've temporarily given up on GH.  I like discussing the details of Y&R again and dissecting it with people.

Archived