Nightclub sets are a waste!

• Members

On GH, seeing the attempt to recreate the old Campus Disco just cemented my opinion that modern soaps should avoid nightclub sets.  They can't play real music, they don't serve a story purpose most of the time, and they draw attention to the fact you are watching a cheap show.

The GH one is dark and yet also has awful lighting that not a single person looks attractive doing scenes in.  Just stick to the Metro Court or turn Kelly's into more of a Pub.

The Days one looks fine, but like all soaps they can't afford to use pop music so that makes it look cheap onscreen.

Luke's club on GH was the last time I felt one of these sets was worth it, because so much happened there and involved many characters.  It also did not look cheap.

plus think about how many crappy ones we have had on all these shows since the 2000's!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It was awesome.  They also paid for real music and modernized the writing to reflect that.  And it was not a network soap anymore.  That's like comparing it to prime time where they also pay to make it seem closer to a real club.  Daytime does not.

• Members

I somewhat agree that unless you have the budget to play real, current music in the scenes, there is no purpose for a nightclub on soaps. Only soap I've seen (out of all my time of watching soaps) a club set be used correctly is with the early 80s episodes of Guiding Light and the Wired For Sound set. We'd never get that today.

titan1978 your so right. I miss the days when soaps had nightclubs. They played popular current music in the background. Famous musical guest would often perform. Tons of extra's and the whole town would be at a club. All they play in the Days nightclub scenes is generic techno music. For example i loved all the characters on ATWT interacting at the Mona Lisa. 

• Members

I could care less about soaps playing popular music. It kind of dates the show anyway. I think nightclubs are a great place for the young people to interact however the ones on soaps hardly ever resemble real clubs. There's never any dancing, hardly any people. no guest DJs,etc. Basically it never looks like a fun time. 

Archived