DAYS: Interim Head Writer's Material Approaching

• Members

(From Jason47's Facebook)

BETH MILSTEIN'S STINT AS INTERIM HEAD WRITER TO BEGIN AIRING SOON...

Please register in order to view this content

With head writer Dena Higley's leave of absence, which was first reported in August 2015, set to take effect soon on-screen, Beth Milstein's material as interim head writer (along with head writer Josh Griffith) will begin airing soon. Milstein first joined "Days" briefly as a dialogue writer in 1980. She then worked as a producer on the show from 1981-1988, first as an assistant producer from 1981-1983, and later as associate producer from 1983-1988. During that time frame, she also did some work as a breakdown writer. After leaving "Days" in 1988, Milstein returned in 1990 as a staff writer and was promoted to head writer (along with Richard J. Allen) for 95 episodes from January 31, 1992-June 11, 1992. She made a return visit to "Days" as a writer from August 2006-October 2007. Milstein has also been a writer on "Sunset Beach" (1997-1998), "Port Charles" (2000), "The Bold and the Beautiful" (2002-2005) and "The Young and the Restless" (2008-2015). She has received 4 Daytime Emmy nominations, winning twice (in 2011 and 2014). Beth Ellen Milstein, 58, was born February 27, 1957.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Damn. I agree with Jonny. Griffith can probably handle the show on his own, and he's a fan. But I can see why they want him to have a co-HW. Clearly they want someone who has history with the show (Higley does but she sucks). I like Milstein and I'm looking forward to seeing any differences once Higley's stench is gone. lol.

• Members

Griffith's solo Y&R tenures were bland as hell, I see why they keep throwing co heads at him. The problem has been that you can tell what material Piggly Higley had her stank hands on (Ava, all of the crazy Hope drama, Rafe and Hope pushing, Daniel propping even in death, the reckless neck tie killings)

Hopefully Beth can bring the excitment without the trash

• Members

Actually I see Ava as a Higs/Griff mix...she gets a psycho she created...he gets to write for Kayla and Patch which he has already said in interviews that he L-O-V-E-S...Especially MBE.

And I know I'm in the minority, but I liked his Y&R writing period.

So Higs has been there the whole time...things to make you go hmmm...

• Members

I like Griffith's writing too but he isn't always the most exciting. He can be a bit slow moving (which Days needs to slow it down a bit, actually) and you can almost always tell when a day is "his". I think with Higs and Griffith, while I'm sure they worked together, I'd say it's clear Griffith needs a co-HW who's not going to be like Higley and probably demand her time and storylines and her pets. Milstein could be the perfect co-HW for Griffith. They both get the show. I'd say John/Marlena and Steve/Kayla are Griffith. I know Higs loves her some Ava but I'd imagine Griffith likes Braun and Ava too, though it sounds like it gets a bit tedious and stupid soon. First week in February spoilers sound like a very mixed bag.

I also have no doubts the month long Daniel worship and the ridiculous Nicole/Brady/Theresa nonsense is all hers too. It has to be. Not quite sure how the show finds Brady more interesting to write for than Eric but whatevs ... I'm just sort of over Brady and they either need to make him a drugged out loser again or give me a break from him. They're dumping the wrong one between Brady and Eric. Eric had 12 years he wasn't on the show. That should give them a ton of things to play that don't involve Elephant Statues. To be fair he could have a kid out there they could invent, age and bring on.

• Members

I specifically remember a few months in between Reilly leaving in summer 2006 and Hogan Sheffer starting towards the end of the year, where we had Beth Milstein as the interim headwriter and the show was great! Too bad she can't remain there permanently. 

Meanwhile, with DAYS' currently schedule, shooting six months in advance, they are now just like Port Charles was towards the end of their run. Couldn't even pen a farewell because the last episode was already unknowingly shot... 

Archived