Ice Skaters?

Matt

• Members

I was considering getting some in-line skates for outdoor activity this spring/summer (and I still may yet do that), but I've decided to switch gears upon discovering that there are two ice rinks withing about a 30 minute drive. I had no idea Kentucky even had ice rinks! Or ice skating! (Although I must have known that there was *some* kind of ice activity since I was aware that Lexington has a lower-level pro-ice hockey team). Granted, at 34 I'll never ben in the Olympics (oh, to have started skating at 5) and I'll probably never do anything really spectactular, but I think it would be nice (and fun) to at least be able to glide around the ice with some appearance of being able to stand upright. (It should be noted that the only ice I've ever been on was in my driveway and the end result gave the phrase "death spiral" a whole new meaning). There are even adult "Learn-to-Skate" programs that teach people who aren't part of the kiddie set how to skate! Are there any figure skaters here (or any adult figure skaters)? There is a skating class starting on Monday at the Louisville Skating Academy, but I'm not sure if there's enough lead time to sign up and work my work schedule around it. I may have to wait until the end of April. I sent in inquiry email to the Lexington Ice Center, but have yet to hear anything back about their upcoming class schedule. I think this could be fun!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's awesome, Matt! I've taught the adult Learn-to-Skate classes and found it really enjoyable to work with people who actually understand what I'm saying!

There's an ever-growing adult skating community. They've even expanded to Adult National Championships, but it's a much more recreational thing than the typical "skating competition" stereotype. Adult skating is in a boom period right now, for sure.

• Members

Thanks for the comments, Michael. As with everything I consider undertaking, I've been doing research and know all about the Adult Track in regards to testing and competition. I've even managed to watch a few videos of adult regional cometitions and the diversity of age and skill levels (some of those "old" guys are damn good). Granted, competing is one of the last things I'm worried about right now, but if I really like it (and I think I will) and I gain enough proficiency in a few years, it's something I might consider. Also, from what I've read, the Adult Track for figure skating is an incredibly fun circle to work in because it's people who truly enjoy what they're doing and the corresponding competitions impress me because they're broken down and geared for all skill levels and ages. I've even read that there's a push to extend Adult Skating Competitions from Nationals into World competitions, as well. I think that's fantastic because all you ever hear about figure skating is the kids pushing themselves (or, in many instances) being pushed up the standard track to the Olympics and retiring from skating in their early 20s because they're totally wrecked their bodies.

• Members

The adult competition scene is really growing! Like you said, it's more based on the principal of improving your own skating and participating than it is about WINNING. They just lowered the age -- at least for some stuff -- from 25 to 21, so I'm thinking about taking up adult competition in the next year or two.

Good luck! More than anything, I hope you have fun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just an update....

I went to my first LTS (Learn to Skate) class last Saturday. Geez. That was an experience. I joined in the middle of the session, so I was *way* behind everyone else who were starting to learn cross overs. I couldn't even skate in a straight line! I went 3 different times this past week and, in a week's time, I can now do laps around the rink! When I went to class this morning, my instructor even commented on how fast I was learning. We learned/worked on swizzles and half-swizzles today (I was told that my swizzles looked really good). He had everyone else doing backwards swizzles, but I can't skate backward yet. :lol: Yet something else for me to work on. Hopefully by class next week, I will half my half-swizzles down pat as well as my two-foot turnaround (or whatever it's really called). I only fell once today, but that was working on my turn and because I lost balance (right after the instructor told me how well I was doing :blink: ).

Now if I could only learn to stop. :blink:

Archived