June 29 - July 3, 2015: GH Continues To Collapse; Hits New Low Again

Toups

• Members

The ratings were [!@#$%^&*] when JJ was on last time. He's always been overrated as any draw.

So has Jamey written any more posts about how the ratings will go up if they fix Franco and Nina?

Those and the comments from fans about how ratings don't matter and GH is so much better than Y&R, who cares about the rest - those are my bread and butter for quick laughs.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought they'd go up, as I didn't see how they could get any lower, but I think they made a big mistake with Luke's exit story, as it offers little value to the average viewer, and the viewers who may have enjoyed it in the past have been burned too many times to tune back in again.

I do hope the ratings go up, as I don't want the show to be canceled, but I can't help enjoying the lack of comment from the same people who were so gleeful when DAYS hit ratings lows.

• Members

There may or may not be a bump for Jonathan and Geary's exit, but I have no idea at this point.

Their response to this, of course, will be to simply fire Maura West and Dominic Zamprogna. (And maybe Bryan Craig, who just tripped to Bali and made fun of Asian people and Muslims, got engaged and bought a motorcycle, all on social media.)

• Members

In his heart, Jamey Giddens has to know Franco and Nina do not work and will never work. He and other members of the soap press just have too symbiotic/social a relationship with RC and GH to dare to say that for fear of offending them or losing access.

Michael Logan, by contrast, appears to have stopped giving a !@#$%^&*]. Probably only because his muse Tony Geary has been whining to him about the loss of the 'brilliant' drunk Luke hit and run story of 2011, but who cares.

• Members

I honestly think viewers are sick of seeing Luke and thus tuning out to the mess of another story involving him….add to that all the rejects on the show and you have tanking ratings. If you don't care for Luke why would you care for his daughter and her failing marriage….

• Members

It's a dumb, rushed story. But if they had taken more time to develop it right and do it better, and not frontloaded a series of other incredibly bad stories alongside it, and not been following from the ridiculous year-long Fluke caper, it would have done better numbers-wise IMO. In the scheme of things, alongside Denise, Franco, Nina, Ric, Madeline, Morgan, Kiki, etc. this crap is almost small potatoes.

• Members

The GH ratings kind of make me sad. Whatever one's opinion of Geary, he's a soap legend and his exit should've been the kind of thing that brought back lapsed viewers, especially with Genie and JJ back to facilitate. Instead the show is hitting new lows. That breaks my heart for the genre and for GH.

IMO, Carlivati is burned out. Even from the beginning, he didn't have nearly as much creativity as his cult members claimed but what he DID have was a deep love for OLTL. However, enthusiasm isn't the same thing as skill. RC had too much of the former and not nearly enough of the latter. After OLTL's cancellation, his enthusiasm shifted from making good soap to keeping his One True Show alive. Then came the PP debacle and his enthusiasm shifted to finding ways to tell PP to go !@#$%^&*] themselves. He needs a break. A long break. Not just from GH but from writing and especially from Twitter.

Perhaps he needs to try getting a gig on a LOGO or SYFY show.

• Members

He had serious ego problems developing well before PP, but that broke him and it's been all about him and his needs ever since. Frank also could've stopped this but chose not to, so a lot of that is on him and his 30 second scenes. His method of production, which gets more and more brutally spartan as it goes (at least onscreen), while a necessary evil on some levels, has only encouraged the worst or laziest aspects of Ron's writing.

As I said elsewhere, the tragedy is that Ron Carlivati is one of very, very few people left in this business who would not rather be anywhere else. He loves soaps. But he now has to either be demoted, given an equally powerful co-head from the longtime old guard, or simply removed.

I don't think ABC will do any of those things. I think they'll cancel before they step in.

• Members

I agree GH is crap lately, but this whole idea that JJ doesn't bring in ratings is built on this willing blindness to the real people who don't bring in ratings: Maurice Benard, Laura Wright, Kelly Monaco, Rebecca Herbst and all the others who have been on year in and year out failing every week to deliver ratings. They, and all the soap regugees fail to bring in ratings each and every week for years on end. It seems ridiculous to expect Jonathan Jackson to be able to affect ratings when Maurice Benard has been working his ratings "magic" for 20 years in the opposite direction. No one ever says "why is Nancy Lee Grahn on, she never raises ratings" but for JJ or Genie Francis they somehow are expected to have magical powers to erase all the months of suck delivered by the day to day cast.

• Members

Exactly. But I don't put it on the vets, either. I put it on the writing, the stories, and above all, the chosen favorites Ron and Frank have refused to give up on.

If left on their own, they'll scapegoat the wrong people: Maura West, who was handed an impossible, unwatchable storyline, and poor Dominic Zamprogna, who has been shoved into a horrific, super-rushed infidelity triangle.

• Members

I will never stop grinning that ratings went up the moment Jason was written out, Carly got no story and Sonny's mob , Liz and Sam were sidelined, and the moment the whole Guza crew came back for revenge the audience ran for the hills.. No one wants to see Jason, Sam and Liz. That seems evident.

Archived