2015 British Soap Awards

DRW50

• Members

Yeah. They should've brought in supporting and younger categories. With the huge casts of all ages that UK soaps has, it would make sense for them to have the categories that the Daytime Emmys have seeing as they'd have people to fill them in.

But yes, I am pissed that Laurie Brett is on there but Diane Parrish isn't. She was stellar this past year. From her learning about Ian/Jane's affair to her semi-breakdown. She was good! I hate how this woman is pushed aside year after year. So frustrating....

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

According to Corriepedia, he last wrote for the show in 2006 (he had a hiatus from 2000-2002 though).

2006 was right around the time Corrie started to tank (and the 2000-2001 era is not regarded highly), so I guess he must have been very influential during his long association with the show.

Looking at the 2005 winners, I love that our dear Suranne Jones won Best Actress for 2 out of her 4 years on Corrie. Karen really was one of the the last times they had a character that left at her absolute peak in popularity (in fact, she was long gone by the 2005 ceremony).

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Nominations announced. Vote for Emmerdale or the terrorists win.

List of nominations: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a644158/eastenders-tops-british-soap-awards-2015-shortlist.html

Vote for Best Soap (Emmerdale), Actor (Michael Parr), & Actress (Natalie Anderson) - http://www.britishsoapawards.tv/

Taking out all Doctors nominations since I don't watch, here are my rankings of best to worst potential winners:

Best British Soap

Emmerdale

EastEnders
Coronation Street
Hollyoaks

VIEWER AND PANEL-VOTED CATEGORIES

Best Actor

Michael Parr (Ross Barton, Emmerdale)

Adam Woodyatt (Ian Beale, EastEnders)

David Neilson (Roy Cropper, Coronation Street)
Simon Gregson (Steve McDonald, Coronation Street)
Danny Dyer (Mick Carter, EastEnders)

Best Actress

Natalie Anderson (Alicia Metcalfe, Emmerdale)
Alison King (Carla Connor, Coronation Street)

Laurie Brett (Jane Beale, EastEnders)
Kellie Bright (Linda Carter, EastEnders)

Nikki Sanderson (Maxine Minniver, Hollyoaks)

PANEL-VOTED CATEGORIES

Villain of the Year

Ryan Hawley (Robert Sugden, Emmerdale)

John Altman (Nick Cotton, EastEnders)

Jeremy Sheffield (Patrick Blake, Hollyoaks)
Sean Ward (Callum Logan, Coronation Street)

Best Comedy Performance

Laura Norton (Kerry Wyatt, Emmerdale)
Sally Dynevor (Sally Webster, Coronation Street)

Fabrizio Santino (David 'Ziggy' Roscoe, Hollyoaks)
Tameka Empson (Kim Fox-Hubbard, EastEnders)

Best Newcomer

Ryan Hawley (Robert Sugden, Emmerdale)

Davood Ghadami (Kush Kazemi, EastEnders)

Twinnie-Lee Moore (Porsche McQueen, Hollyoaks)
Sean Ward (Callum Logan, Coronation Street)

Best Storyline

Donna's Demise (Emmerdale)

Who Killed Lucy? (EastEnders)
Steve and Michelle - Hearts And Minds (Coronation Street)
John Paul's Rape Ordeal (Hollyoaks)

Best Single Episode

Andy goes to the brink (Emmerdale)

Episode 5020 - Live Episode (EastEnders)
Rob's confession (Coronation Street)
Ste's HIV diagnosis (Hollyoaks)

Best Dramatic Performance

Natalie Anderson (Alicia Metcalfe, Emmerdale)

Keith Rice (Finn O'Connor, Hollyoaks)
Simon Gregson (Steve McDonald, Coronation Street)
Kellie Bright (Linda Carter, EastEnders)

Best On-Screen Partnership

Verity Rushworth and Michael Parr (Donna Windsor and Ross Barton, Emmerdale)
Sally Dynevor and Joe Duttine (Sally Webster and Tim Metcalfe, Coronation Street)

Ellis Hollins and Ruby O'Donnell (Tom Cunningham and Peri Lomax, Hollyoaks)
Laurie Brett and Adam Woodyatt (Jane and Ian Beale, EastEnders)

Best Young Performance
Ellie Leach (Faye Windass, Coronation Street)

Ruby O'Donnell (Peri Lomax, Hollyoaks)

Amelia Flanagan (April Windsor, Emmerdale)
Eliot Carrington (Bobby Beale, EastEnders)

Scene of the Year

Donna's goodbye (Emmerdale)

Kathy comes home (EastEnders)
Deirdre throws the trifle (Coronation Street)
The train crash (Hollyoaks)

• Members

Most of of it is fan voted, so it's never going to be a fair or accurate award show. I almost feel like everything should be panel-based, but obviously, that has it's fair share of issues as well.

Hollyoaks has won more BSA's than Emmerdale, that's kind of sad. The Emmerdale audience just doesn't get out or care to vote for these awards for the most part.

Also, ITV seems to do a better job of promoting Corrie for votes than Ememrdale for whatever reason.

• Members

Yes, it's sad Emmerdale doesn't get the recognition it deserves, but like with all other award shows I care about, I don't mind living in my pipe dream world when the winners I prefer lose. I mean, I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who thinks Kristen Dunst should have won Oscars for her portrayals in ALL GOOD THINGS and MELANCHOLIA, and she wasn't even nominated.

Also, I don't understand why they got rid of the Best Exit category. Seems odd.

• Members

If Deirdre Throws The Trifle wins Best Scene then that's obviously a sentimental choice and I wouldn't be too cut up about it.

I agree with you about Dunst in All Good Things, Bright Eyes. I've never been a fan of hers at all but thought she was really excellent in that. Hopefully with The Jinx phenomena more people will check out the film now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Knowing I have to be happy with crumbs, at least the Donna story won something. If only Ryan Hawley could have won newcomer.

Kellie Bright winning one, let alone two awards, was sad. Woodyat/Metcalfe, after being nominated against Tim/Sally and Ross/Donna is just complete poppycock. And as much as I love Kerry, I have never done such a 180 on a character like I have Sally. She is the best thing about Corrie. And she's married to Emmerdale director Tim Dynevor, so my Emmerdale heart will happily allow it.

• Members

You could tell some of the cast really wanted him to win. I know they had to give The Doctors something, but it just sucks that he didn't get anything, especially since some fans have a weird personal hatred for him and playing a villain he likely doesn't get tons of fan support when he goes out...

Archived