Spider-man (2017) joins Marvel Cinematic Universe

Cheap21

• Members

Its moot bc they've since revealed new details and they are going for Peter in high school, so he'll likely be 16/17. Its much younger than I expected and that drastically makes him different than the rest

Spidey is the face of the company and arguably their biggest solo hero. Sony was going to make the films regardless. Why wouldnt Marvel try to influence its direction and take advantage of him? The way things were, it would have been like DC not being able to use Superman or Batman. Marvel needed this

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the last Superman movie is an example of figureheads/faces not necessarily needing new movies. It didn't do much to establish him or help their film brand.

MCU has its own identity and Spider-Man isn't really a part of that, so he won't really be a face for them. I think they should have let viewers have more time before reintroducing the character, especially since, if he's that young, then his origin story will still be fresh on him, even if they don't bring it back up.

I feel like they're asking people to start actively avoiding the character. If they have no choice because the movies were going to be made no matter what, as you said, then I guess I get it, but I feel like it's just too much of a character who isn't all that special these days.

• Members

I liked ASM, but the sequel was terrible. Its clear Sony is misguided bc their focus just seems off (Aunt May super spy prequel? Sinister Six?). I think it benefits the character to be produced by Marvel with their creative input bc they get their characters and the films do extremely well. Disney/Marvel WANT to fix the character and not allow Sony to further ruin the brand.

This is a fact that many people are aware of but Disney/Marvel hold all merchandising rights from the Spidey films. That includes toys, books, videogames, posters, etc... Sony was f--king up their profits by releasing subpar movies that they cant really capitalize on. This deal allows them to correct that and being able to promote him alongside the rest of the MCU will allow them to maximize their revenue on Spider-Man movie related merchandise

• Members

That is nice and all, but at this point Spider-man is exhausted as a character and the entire reboot was ill advised under the best of circumstances. These past two films have weakened the character greatly and exhausted the audiences good will towards the character. Going forward Spider man has had three bad films to contend with over a very narrow span of time, as a result the character is in a weak position not unlike Superman in 2005/2006 and Batman back in 1997/1998. It would do well to rest the character and let the bad connotations steadily drift away from him and use the time to generate more good will threw rest. Come back with another Spider-man film in 2020, and then rebuild. This would be a different circumstance if the last two Spider man films hadn't been filmed. I would be all for a revision of it in Marvel's universe, along side the avengers but as it stands it's much too soon, and the project needs time to breath.

• Members

I think people have been waiting years for Spidey to get into the MCU. I know I have. It's something that just is right and the audience is there for it, to see all those characters together. I can handle another quick reboot if they dispense with much of the origin story, which I think they plan to. Originally Spidey was proposed to have a key role in the Civil War Cap film, caught between Cap and Iron Man, but that role has gone to Black Panther as an emerging hero.

I thought Andrew Garfield did a wonderful job (along with Emma Stone and Sally Field). It's a shame all that talent - and those films aren't too bad - was caught up in a Sony money grab.

• Members

Ive read speculation that they will skip the origin story in his film and instead spread it out across the various MCU projects. They could easily stick a post-credit scene in Avengers 2 with a kid getting bit by a spider at a museum and then they follow it up by alluding to Spider-Man in the Netflix series and/or SHIELD to build him up for an onscreen debut in Captain America: Civil War. Spidey's solo can just briefly recap all of this and jump into him as an established young hero without it being his first adventure

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Especially if they are going to have several films. I don't even know why they need to do an orgin story because everyone and their mother knows what it is.

I'll admit I am kinda surprise that people are shocked that Peter Parker is going to be a white guy.

• Members

The problem is 19 yr olds look 15 on screen, and that's why people in their 20s play teenagers. I am not familiar with this actor but I had no problem with the previous guy.

There was an interview with Stan Lee today where he was saying Spider-Man should be as he always has been (white, hetero, male) and what Stan says goes. Apparently Sony was contractually obligated to not portray Spidey differently than the way he was in the comics. I guess the Fantastic Four didn't rate such contractual purity.

• Members

thats the point. The intentionally cast younger bc they want to embrace Spidey as a teenager in HS and have him be a contrast against the older heroes in this universe. Tobey and Andrew were both on the older side. I didnt mind Andrew as he looked young enough but Tobey loooked a bit too old to play Peter in that particular stage of his life.

I read they are skipping the origins story.

People arent shocked that Peter is white. They are shocked that Peter will be Spider-Man bc Marvel apparently has been pushing a black character named Miles as Spider-Man and people thought that would translate to the films: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/miles-morales-new-face-spider-man-n380446

Archived