2014 Movie Awards Thread

Toups

• Members

I've heard some even say the reason she brought up her dead boyfriend of 20 years ago was to try to campaign for a nomination. I'd hope that isn't the case, but if so, that's sad.

She's one of those people who is supposed to be a lot of things because that's what the media say, not because she's actually done anything to warrant this label (movie star, America's Sweetheart, et al).

I think Jude Law chose a lot of bad parts (and he also didn't age very well, and all that stuff with Sienna Miller was tacky as hell). He wasn't a leading man and shouldn't have thought he was. I think Cumberbatch will hit that same backlash soon.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Selma is a fantastic film and deserved several more nominations (specifically Ava DuVernay and David Oyelowo), but Oprah is only really in it for about ten minutes and it's not some major showstopper scene for her. I don't see any reason to have nominated her, personally.

I think it's a pretty strong year with some great films despite the Selma robbery, and I am so glad Jennifer Aniston didn't buy her way in. I just wish they hadn't given Meryl another one. The Clint Eastwood award bait thing is getting old.

• Members

It's not the first time a movie is nominated for best picture without a nomination for best director. Furthermore there are 8 nominations in the best picture category, but only 5 for best director, so at least 3 best picture nominees would fail to get nominated for best director anyway.

• Members

SAG Award Winners

Picture Ensemble: BIRDMAN

Actor: Eddie Redmayne, THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING
Actress: Julianne Moore, STILL ALICE
Supporting Actor: J.K. Simmons, WHIPLASH
Supporting Actress: Patricia Arquette, BOYHOOD

For a full list of winners - http://www.sagawards.org/awards/nominees-and-recipients/21st-annual-screen-actors-guild-awards

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

It's Birdman's Best Picture to lose now. They got the PGA, DGA and SAG. I think the only possible upset is if Birdman stumbles during these last few weeks and if American Sniper's box office momentum can translate into first place votes.

• Members

BAFTA Awards

Picture: BOYHOOD

Director: Richard Linklater, BOYHOOD

Actor: Eddie Redmayne, THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING

Actress: Julianne Moore, STILL ALICE

Supporting Actor: J.K. Simmons, WHIPLASH

Supporting Actress: Patricia Arquette, BOYHOOD

For a full list of winners: http://awards.bafta.org/award/2015/film

My boy, Jack O'Connell, also won the rising star award. Love him so much.

Archived