2014 Movie Awards Thread

Toups

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For non-actors, I'm just ecstatic that the academy didn't throw in the awful Clint Eastwood. It's bad enough American Sniper and Cooper are wasting space for actual deserving nominees. More proof that having more than 5 nominees in a category, especially best picture, is completely ridiculous.

• Members

Steve Carell was good for Steve Carell. Not an Oscar nomination.

Anyone remotely wading in the waters of supporting actress this year would have been better than Streep, who hasn't deserved the majority of her nominations and that third win was a complete embarrassment. Still, for me, as long as the right person wins, I try not to get too displeased with wrong nominations. Like this year, it definitely sucks that Oyelowo didn't get nominated, but him winning would not be the right choice at all. It's totally Redmayne vs. Keaton, with Benedict Cumberpath (hopefully) having lost momentum.

As for actual actresses: Rene Russo, Naomi Watts, Jessica Chastain, Carmen Ejogo, Tilda Swinton, Carrie Coon. There were so many better options, but at least she didn't take Laura Dern's spot.

• Members

I would agree with the Jennifer Anniston snub were it not for the fact that Steve Carrell got nominated for more or less a make up job of ugly-fying himself. Isn't that what people are accusing Anniston of?

As for Oprah's short appearance in the film. Alan Arkin won for Little Miss Sunshine and he couldn't have been in the movie more than 10 minutes.

And I do really think the Selma backlash was an engineered effort to give a black eye to a film that was gaining momentum. Personally, I think the idea that LBJ was the impetus for the Selma march is laughable but in a world where the likes of Woody Allen and Roman Polanski can get nominated for an Academy Award, I can't imagine what duVernay could've possibly said that tarnished her prospects for a best director nomination.

David Oyelowo should have gotten a nomination.

I do think that the race is between Michael Keaton and Eddie Redmayne. I'm kind of in favor of Keaton. Redmayne has picked and succeeded in doing a lot of great work so far and I don't see that ending anytime soon. Although he does risk being like other British prospects like Jude Law and James McAvoy and being too many places at once and getting movie critics fatigued with him. We'll see.

Julianne Moore better win this year is all I can say.

• Members

Critics Choice Movie Award Winners

Best Picture – “Boyhood”
Best Actor – Michael Keaton, “Birdman”
Best Actress – Julianne Moore, “Still Alice”
Best Supporting Actor – J.K. Simmons, “Whiplash”
Best Supporting Actress – Patricia Arquette, “Boyhood”

For a full list of winners - http://www.criticschoice.com/movie-awards/

• Members

I have to just laugh at how hard Jennifer Aniston campaigned for an Oscar nomination and how desperate she was for one. No one campaigned harder or spent as much money for herself as this bitch did, and still, the Academy rightfully shut her ass down.

No one takes her seriously as an actress, and she's not a very likeable person, and her "snub" was perfectly justified.

12:00 in: Tom O'Neil talks about how Aniston scheduled a press junket to discuss her potential Oscar nomination, even though it's only typical for movies to do such things and not actors, and how she had to cancel the junket due to not getting a nomination. This woman REALLY though she was going to be nominated.

Archived