ALL: Re-casts that changed a storyline?

• Members

Back in 2001/2002, when I first joined the BBs, posters used to talk about that all the time. But they were talking about a 10 year dream, which would have made major changes. They wanted John to be Roman again, Bo to have not chosen Billie over Hope and Jack to have not turned into a clown, who then walked out on Jennifer.

It says a lot about Tomlin that he wanted the year he was off the show to be erased completely. Nothing Earth-shattering happened during that year, except Jennifer chose Jack over Daniel, the future Tom Horton in Tomlin's mind. I guess you could make a case that Rafe's relationship with Carrie was a pretty big deal. But we're not talking about decisions that forever altered the trajectory of the show, or the characters.

Dena Higley was also a vindictive writer. Back in 2003, she really took her revenge on the victorious Brady/Chloe pairing in Chloe's final two months on the show before Nadia left. Personally, I didn't care about that triangle, but it was painfully obvious that she was an embittered Phillip/Chloe fan.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dena liked to hold grudges. She took a lot of [!@#$%^&*] out on Natalie in very bizarre, random ways on OLTL as well when she didn't get her way story-wise. Viki too, IMO - she spent the better part of a year being insulted and demeaned for and by Dorian and Clint.

I've often said I really, really liked what I saw of McPherson's run on DAYS - it was the last time I could take that show seriously, and the first time in close to a decade. I know it was very divisive but it worked for me, and I think what she did at AMC has borne that out for me, personally.

• Members

Yeah MarDar's Days had good spots but was so slow.

Tomlin basically reset Days in 2012 with the explosion which Killed Jack, got Will to impreginate Gabi (Which was his plan for Will in 2011 before Will coming out) & sending a lot of MarDar's characters packing

As for MarDar's AMC, I liked it but also heard it was heeavily mentored by Agnes Nixon

• Members

Makes sense.. I always thought MarDar had lots of great idea.. just didn't have anyone to help with pacing.. so if Agnes Nixon helped her then awesome.

For old school Y & R viewers, how did the character of Leslie Brook fare when the original Leslie Janice Lynde depart and the late Victoria Mallory come on? Did the character change much?

I always thought Ashley changed a lot from Eileen Davidson to Brenda E. Eileen's Ashley was tough on the outside but fragile on the inside... while Brenda's Ashley was softer on the outside, but stronger willed on the inside. The best example of Brenda's Ashley being stronger willed was when she found out that Victor had renewed feelings for Nikki in 1992.. she promptly told him off, told him that she had even though of having a child with him.. but if he couldn't shake Nikki then she wasn't going to stick around and promptly left him. I think had Eileen been in the part, it would have gone much differently imho.

I also think Margo on ATWT changed quite a bit as well especially when Hilary Bailey left and Ellen Dolan took over. Hilary Bailey was more sarcastic and confident.. while Ellen Dolan's Margo was sarcastic, but was more bitter. Glynnis Oconnor's brief stint made Margo very serious without any sarcasm.

• Members

Hey, I never bought that the sweetheart Lizzie as played best by Hayden Panetierre and later Mackenzie Mauzy could have "matured" into EITHER brat played by Hunt or Rylan. But I DID really like Alison Hirschlag's brief interpretation of a sly, manipulative Lizzie who was even able to blackmail her own grandfather, Alan! The regression to the suicidal Hunt, burning down boarding schools and threatening to cut herself with broken glass, was very jarring.

Honestly, when Hirschlag and Stephanie Gatschet were cast, I felt like each should've played the others' character. Lizzie should've been the sweetheart; Tammy needed the "raised by a stripper" edge.

• Members

I don't think the writing for Margo changed though---not between Smith and Dolan. HBS' Margo ran the gamut from strident dip to hypocritical shrew. Dolan's version was more strident, but honestly, her Margo came off as more confident and competent especially in the PD (yes, I know...soap cops are never competent). I could never consider HBS' Margo a competent cop after racing through the tunnels of Castle McKechnie, nine months pregnant, after the guy who attacked Barbara. NEVER.

And I don't think HBS could have played Margo's rape as poignantly as Dolan did.

If there was a shift in Margo's writing, IMO, it was more striking from Colin to Smith.

Archived