DAYS: Timeslot change (or cancelled) for 10 affiliates? - DC, Chicago, Dallas, and more.

• Members

Days has pulled renewals out the bag in much worse circumstances than what we're in right now. True, ratings are down and I think we need some changes - but a decision about rhea how's date won't be made for a year and half- between now and then we have ED's story, James and Ari's exits,the shows. 50th, and who knows what else may be involved. While I definitely respect everyone's opinions, I think it's a little too early for doom and gloom predictions... Especially when that's what soaps have been living in for the past 15+ years

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree. DAYS can and has turned itself around, even when NBC reps were all but announcing its death. And you know, even if DAYS is cancelled in 2016, I'm just going to enjoy the last two years. We lost 4 soaps in the course of 2.5 years. For soap fans, keeping steady with the four remaining is great, even if it only lasts another couple years.

• Members

It will be interesting to see how long Days will last. I say this because who knows what will occur if NBC gets their prime time sorted (and not just due to the Olympics). Since they have different ownership, they could have different plans for the network. (Of course, the only positive news I've read of late about NBC was about its NBCSN, where they've had gains due to Barclays Premiere League).

• Members

I've counted out DAYS before and I've always been wrong, so I don't know what to think. The show looks cheap as hell and is shot something like five years in advance and it seems to have some support behind it. Usually the affiliate stuff is a death knell but with DAYS I can't ring that bell just yet. It's not always for me, it could be so much more but it keeps on.

• Members

I actually agree that, for the most part, I recognize Days of Our Lives. It really hasn't been fundamentally changed. The show usually ... works. Even in piss poor periods. The only time I was starting to lose that connection was with Dena Higley. Things wrong with the show doesn't mean it's lost it's identity, IMO.

AMC was lost. Completely. The reboot online, IMO, captured the feel of AMC very very well. It was night and day. It's hard to describe but it just felt like AMC again.

Y&R, I barely recognize now. B&B isn't the same show it was when Bill Bell was heading it but it's still, at the core, mostly the same show. Just more modern and Brad goes for more of the shock/disgust camp.

GL still had it's heart, it proved it at the very end of the series. Unfortunately, all of that was lost and Peapack did the show zero favors. It wasn't at all the same and I predict ATWT would have gone even further to that level had it remained on the air. ATWT had so many core veteran still there but the show was aimeless. Pissante is writing the exact same boring and aimless crap at Y&R now.

Anyway ... Days is fine for now, is still going to be on a year from now. We'll get to the show's 50th ... let's not doom and gloom this.

Days was basically called dead in 2007 and look at where we are. I won't count the show out. And Sony is a beast about keeping their shows alive. Yes, it's a co-production, but still ... I could see Sony wanting Days to move online if at all possible and I have to imagine Corday's online venture could somehow coincide with that ... we'll see what the future holds but for now, Days is fine. I could see Days on Hulu and right up there in terms of people watching it.

I watch Days online all the time now anyway, personally (my over-the-air antenna doesn't seem to like to pick up my Orlando based NBC affiliate). And in two years, who knows how far streaming will come. A lot can change between now and when Days may or may not end.

• Members

Emmys and accolades (and quality) don't factor in - I separate Emmys from quality for a reason - it's really all about revenue. If Sony can't produce DAYS at a certain budget and get NBC to pay a license that will enable it to make a profit, it's done. The plus for DAYS is that NBC has been unable to produce anything (other than extra hours of TODAY) during the past decade that has even come close. Will NBC really concede Daytime entirely? I'm not sure they will especially since they are reviving prime time finally.

Archived