Blossom on the Hub

BKuzak

• Members

Blossom is coming to the hub channel Monday July 7th. I don't even remember the last time this show was on one of my stations. I know a lot or all are on Youtube and there are some DVD's out of the first two seasons but i hasn't been on television in many years.

Anybody else going to watch? Anyone else remember watching the originals on Monday nights in the 1990's right after Fresh Prince. I know i did.

and since then I've watched Joey Lawrence career right up until now with Melissa and Joey. and last summer (i think it was last summer or the one before) i saw a lot of his epsidoes of Gimmie a Break.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I saw the commercial for this the other day, they're going to start off with a marathon hosted by some of the cast. Yeah, I used to watch Monday nights after Fresh Prince as well. Remember the last season when the dad married Finola Hughes who had the daughter played by brunette pre-Hayden P. Sarah on OLTL? She had an English accent her first episode which she struggled through, sounded like she had applesauce in her mouth, and by her second episode, they completely dropped it.

Blossom always had fun opening title sequences.

• Members

Yes i remember. I also remember when she went to Paris. I think she was visiting her mother or trying to. I'm probably wrong but i thought they (TPTB) toyed with the idea of actually having her move to Paris. and then changed their minds. the woman who played Six's mother, ended up doing several episodes of the final couple of years of Full House as Danny's girlfriend.

My favorite character was Tony. I really liked that he had that addiction past. I think he even 'fell off the wagon' in one episode. Yea i remember Finona and ex-Sarah. I knew she was "ex-sarah" even back then because i was watching One Life when she was on.

• Members

One of the last times it was shown in reruns before now was on WGN in the late 90s. I remember it being on during the late afternoons before Full House.

I have an old tape from 1992 (from an airing of I'll Fly Away) which includes a Target commercial with Mayim Bialik and Joey Lawrence, who are in character as Blossom tries to pick out an outfit for the first day of school.

Dear god, those hats she used to wear. wacko.png

I will say that I always felt bad whenever MB got called ugly, though. She was definitely NOT a typical sitcom teen beauty, and maybe there were too many so-called "attractive" guys who found her attractive to be believable, but at the same time, she wasn't SUPPOSED to be a typical sitcom teen beauty. I got the impression that, whatever the actual quality of the show, there were a lot of average, every day girls out there who were happy to have one of "them" with her own show.

And she wound up with a PhD in Neuroscience and is on the Big Bang Theory. She's done very well for herself smile.png .

The two most memorable things about this show (aside from Blossom's outfits), were that theme song ("opinionation" is NOT a word, damn it! Dr. John is awesome, though) and the fact that Six always spoke too fast.

ETA: In the GH coffee table book, KMc (who would have only been around 17 then) talks about visiting Fin on the set during the last season, and since she was a fan of the show, too, Fin took her to meet Mayim. What did Mayim say upon meeting Kim?

"OH MY GOD, ROBIN, ROBIN, I'm your BIGGEST fan!"

Kim: "No I'm YOUR biggest fan!"

Then they screamed and laughed. Very cute. :)

• Members

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Blossom-Cast-Reunion-1083997.aspx

The '90s NBC sitcom Blossom may have seemed like a blip on the TV radar, but the show was responsible for launching a few major careers, is remembered for being way ahead of its time, coining a few catchphrases and singlehandedly putting the flower hat on the map. Debuting July Fourth weekend of 1990, Blossom starred the 15-year-old Mayim Bialik as a precocious teen adjusting to life and coming of age with her mom out of the picture. Her dad Nick (Ted Wass) was a musician sometimes on the road, her oldest brother Anthony (Michael Stoyanov) was a recovering alcoholic and her brother Joey (Joey Lawrence) was the stereotypical dumb jock. Jenna Von Oy played Blossom's fast-talking best friend. "They actually wanted to push the limits of what network sitcoms were doing at that time," Bialik tells us in the behind-the-scenes video of their recent cast reunion. "We used to have network execs come to our run-throughs and count how many times we said 'condom' or 'safe sex.' Now I like to say, 'You can have safe sex on television,' but back then you couldn't even say it without all these problems from the network." Nearly 25 years after the show ended, the Hub Network is relaunching the series in reruns weekdays at 10/9c and 10:30/9:30c beginning on Monday. Catch up with the cast below!

• Members

Aww, I truly liked Blossom! About the opening dance sequence: I remember some girls from my school exclaiming that they couldn't believe White girls had moves like that.laugh.png

As to Mayim's looks, I'm glad some of the late 80s, early 90s teen shows opted for substance and chose some one with talent. I have heard similar comments about Sarah Jessica Parker, which for some reason, surpised me because while not the classic American beauty, in her heyday I thought she looked alright.

Seems that both MB and SJP did well for themselves though.

Archived