Empire: Discussion Thread

• Members

A perfect way to sum it all up, Vee. It sucks that soaps have not paid attention and emulated this show. I think that B&B has paid some attention as I do see them pushing Carter, Maya, and Maya's sister to the forefront somewhat but IDK how long that'll last.

And yes, we won't get Carl to watch till 9 months from now when everyone else is watching season. <_<:P

But I am doing to do my best to stay on him until he folds. This show is too good for him not to be watching in real time.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/What-We-Can-Learn-from-Cookie-s-Fierce-Fashion-on-6101306.php#page-2

I love this article as it totally explains how fashion can broadcast one's personal expression ranging from bold, confident, sexy, powerful. I was known as ultra conservative but made a switch years ago and now I can't believe how much my wardrobe has evolved. Now I've figured out how to enhance a tailored look with color or an accessory that really reflects how I'm feeling at the moment.

• Members

I think he cares. I think he just was not ready and Michael was putting too much pressure on him. I think that Michael will come back now, but he'll have stiff competition in the documentarian, who's name slips my brain at the moment.

I understand both ends of the spectrum [my boo and Dora], but Dora should've been a bit more patient with Jamal. He knew he was DL when he got when him, it wouldn't kill him to wait a few minutes longer for Jamal to come out.

• Members

Thanks for sharing this article, Carl. Now if you'd just watch.... wink.png

But I wanna, who the hell is comparing the women on Empire to those on Housewives? Those are two different mediums. While both shows thrive on drama and most the women are black with commanding attitudes--who doesn't?

Some bitter haters, who are mad at the success of this show & grasping at straws, are doing anything to try and tear this show down.

Edited by Nothin'ButAttitude

• Members

I didn't really take it as her slamming the show - I felt like she was somewhat critical but trying to say she thought it was wrong for people to reduce the female characters to stereotypes.

I'm not sure people have been comparing the shows either. I just know a lot of fans here watch both so it jumped out at me when I was clicking around Slate.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Oh I agree with the writer. I was just referring to those bitter haters, who's comments I've seen all over the Internet, saying the usual--that this show panders to stereotypes or why do women or AAs watch this show but get mad later on when stereotypes are reinforced. We watch the show because it's good storytelling and it is a story about a family achieving the American dream. Yeah, they got there through corrupt dealings but they've made it. And it is refreshing to see it be a black family. Normally, we're the assistant or best friend. For once, we drive story and all the characters, like real human beings, have good and bad aspects about them.

• Members

But see, I think Rhonda had a serious problem with Andre's actions. While folks like slut shaming Rhonda, she and Andre are in this game together. You see how excited both were before going in the house - both were turned on. To be in their type of game, you have to have an attraction to the other players, what was Rhonda's attraction to that old man in a wheel chair? At that point, she felt pimped, and I don't blame her one bit.

• Members

Not really though. He flat out called Hakeem a disappointment that day at the studio. Can you even imagine saying something like that to your child or having a parent say that to you? Hakeem has Lucious' love as long as he performs well and toes the line. Lucious is a flat out disaster as a parent and every time I think he can't get worse he does.

That first song by Jamal about how he would never be good enough was one of the most heartbreaking things I've ever heard. Then poor Andre. Mentally ill and his father doesn't seem to notice and then told that he had betrayed Lucious by marrying a white woman. So harsh. Then basically telling Cookie that he was ashamed of his family and they weren't worthy of the legacy album, just sad.