Y&R: The 70s VS 80s/90s

• Members

I do know that the show was originally centered around the Brooks/Fosters but I do have a few questions about the show as a whole.

What was the tone of the show like? What could it be compared to?

How much did it focus on wealth and how did the show approach rich and poor?

Was Kay's presence just as prominent?

Besides the Brooks/Fosters who were the other families and characters and what were some of the popular storylines?

The show seems to be known today as Psychological, Business, and Wealth. Is that how the show was described then?

Basically, how did the show as a whole change. I am curious because I was watching these and the show seemed very different. I would describe the show as better but they seem to different. Superior, perhaps?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Although the show under Bill Bell (later Kay Alden) was almost always superior I think the 70's/early 80's from the few full episodes and clips I have seen really seemed to shift back and forth between the deep psychology and yes gothic/creepy moments that Bell liked to include.....he basically stuck with these traits throughout most of the run but they seemed more notable back in the really early days though of course the mid/late 80's and the 90's had their show of gothic and scary moments too with characters like Lisa, David, Sheila, Psycho Michael, Derek Stuart, etc.....

I honestly think it wasn't till the Abbotts were introduced that he added the business aspect for the show which has become it's running theme for nearly 4 decades.

• Members

Y&R's tone changed a lot over the years and I think each fitted the respective decade. Yet, the show always kept a certain identity because the characters were long-lasting did fit into all of this.

I think the personal preference heavily relies on the time one started watching and was hooked on the first one or several big stories...

• Members

70's Y&R was 30 mins,intimate,slow moving focussing on a small group of characters and their emotional lives and interrelationships,. Live on tape gave it a certain feel as did the shadowy lighting.

Once the show went to an hour the cast expanded and there were a lot of new faces and stories. Wes Kenney changed the lighting and the new decade brought forth business and crime stories that had only been touched on previously.

Bill Bell adapted to fit in with trends of the time but kept it character based.

• Members

I still see a tone in those clips that was present in the 80's, just centered around certain characters.

I wonder if Bill Bell loved Nina not just for her powerhouse actress, but also because her character had that grit from the earlier era of the show.

Also, that clip of Jill just spells out the everything. Tired of being poor, hungry for more, and beginning to befriend Katherine. The only thing missing was Philip walking in to the living room to meet her. Dickson was so campy and not grounded at the end of her run it is hard to think of her as she started, playing her character.

• Members

I had no idea John Considine was the first Philip, I thought Donnelly Rhodes originated the part. I found Y&R incredibly dull in the early years -- just as I do now -- but it certainly did bring a different vibe to daytime. There were elements of Bell's Days of our Lives, but even more stylized (and stilted, IMO).

• Members

Bill Bell re-used early Y&R storylines and ideas in the later years of Y&R and early years of B&B.

The Abbott's got a lot of the Brooks/Fosters early stories.

Ashley turned out to not be the daughter of John (Laurie turned out not to be Stuart's daughter).

Ashley had a mental breakdown, lost her memory and was put in a mental hospital (Leslie had the same thing happen to her). The hospital and patients were the same ones used in the Leslie stort.

Tracy always felt insecure around her older sister Ashley and was jealous (Laurie felt insecure around her older sister Leslie and was jealous).

John Abbott discovered his wife Jill had an affiar. ( Stuart discovered his wife Jennifer had an affair).

Dina Abbott abandoned her family years earlier and returned. (Bill Foster abandoned his family years earlier and returned).

Ashley and Tracy fought over Brad Carlton ( Leslie and Laurie fought over Brad Elliott).

• Members

Damn.

Some may say that the show over-dosed on the voice overs but I love it. It adds a psychological element to the characters you honestly can't get otherwise. I say this outshines anything I have seen today on all four shows.

I hate to admit it but I am kinda partial to this look/feel more so than the ABC shows. Even the few 70s AMC clips out there and the 80s AMC I stuff always enjoyed.

Archived