Manions of America (Anges Nixon Mini-Series)

• Members

First, it is on Amazon!

I almost went postal after reading this review though:

Boy, did my memory not serve me well on this! I remembered loving this when it came out a thousand years ago - perhaps my mind was clouded by Pierce Brosnan's beautifulness at the time. When I sat down to watch my newly purchased copy a couple of weeks ago and the credits listed Agnes Nixon (who created All My Children & One Life to Live) as the story creator and producer, I should have ejected it from my old VCR immediately and thrown it into the nearest bin. Alas, I was not that bright and managed to make it through about two-thirds of this corny, soapy mess before running screaming. No amount of money I paid was worth sticking it out until the end. The horrible dialog, bodice ripping romance novel storyline and bad Z grade miniseries 80's actors made for an excruciating experience. There's even a bit where Brosnan's poor servant character steals a kiss from Kate Mulgrew's spoiled rich girl, and when she raises up her riding crop to threaten him, he pulls her back down into an embrace by gentling her like he would a horse! "Shh! Shh! Shh! Steady-steady!" GAG. With all the horrible fake English and Irish accents around him, I'm surprised Brosnan made it through filming without throwing up. And thank God NBC paid to have his teeth fixed before he assumed the role of Remington Steele, or we might never have seen him on film ever again. They weren't hideous, but they weren't the pearly whites we're accustomed to. He did a lot of not smiling, but that may have been less about his teeth and more about this rotten production...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I watched the vid above, and it was ok. I love period pieces! I saw David Soul's [the only blond male I'd give a kidney] name, did I miss him? Gonna go home today and watch some old eppies of S & H.

BTW, that review is absolutely hilarious. I've never heard of this mini series, but I am super curious. I may have to watch it in its entirety.

Archived